Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 22-250

22-250

So thinking about getting one, tikka action. What have people had the most success with load and twist rate? And for 2, maybe different reasons - speed and accuracy.

Sort of wanting a bloody fast, hi bc pill, with great accuracy.
    Tommy likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

northdude
    I was going to get one but ended up going 243 sorry not much help

JWB
    Banned
    Having run a .22-250 for the best part of 44years, my interest lies in Ken Clark's creation, the .224 Clark. 80 and 85 grainers at 3500 ft/sec. Just need to own a barrel shop1
    WallyR likes this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Recently sold a Kimber pro varmint
    dumb move from me.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

What twist rate are you getting? 1 in 8 for the bigger slower higher B.C.pills or 1 in 12-14 for little fast low B.C. red mist sub 300 m shots?

Sent from my GT-I8190T using Tapatalk
    Beaker likes this.

2208 for accuracy

Sent from my GT-I8190T using Tapatalk

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Recently sold a Kimber pro varmint
    dumb move from me.
    I used Bryn's 52gr bullet went about 3650
    happy to pm you the load.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Had my Ruger M77 MkII for 14yrs, run Sierra 55g SBT doing about 3640fps with H4895. This has been a very accurate combo, used to shoot Fallow with head shots out to 250m, been a while though, but still a very accurate rifle

Unfortunately can't tell you much more than that, I'm looking to have barrell replaced by Hugh Bradley with one of his in 1:27cm (10 and a bit) so I can get 69g pills down it

I have also got a load sorted on Sierra 40g Blitzkings to go and play with, these should be humming around 4100fps.

I love this cal, awesome to play with, but yes if you want bigger pills, a faster twist you'll need...

Not sure what the Tikka norm is but here's one... Tikka T3 lite, .22-250 syn / stainless #3672 | Trade Me

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Pretty sure all Tikka's are 1:14 for this calibre. You will probably need to re barrel to 1:8 if you want to shoot a high BC projectile. You say using a Tikka action, so you probably already have this in mind.
    Beaker likes this.

kw
    Hi, I have a Browning X bolt on T/M 1-9 twist for sale, contact me if interested K

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by stickle7 View Post
    Hi, I have a Browning X bolt on T/M 1-9 twist for sale, contact me if interested K
    Etching on the boltface?
    Boaraxa likes this.

Run an 8T. There is a very good article by in NZ Guns by Peter Clark on this calibre. He is a huge fan of Tikkas. Has a great range of calibres with their performance. If you can't find it let me know and I will try to dig it out.
    Beaker likes this.

Thanks all, some good stuff there.

I brought a chassis, while have a drink one night...... and now need to put something in it. Chassis is for tikka,.....

Still not to sure on twist rate. I like the idea of real fast and resultant pink mist, but like the heavier the projectile is better too.

I think speed is going to win.....
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

I have had two 22-250, kinda wish I had hung onto the browning safari, (sako action), but it was a heavy pig of a rifle,
    I go minimum of 1-12 twist if building one, push a 50-55gr at warp speed, and still get a 60 gr partion or 65gr sierra to 3500,
    My self if I got another I go to a twist that will stabilize a 75gr a-max. 1-9.
    55gr B-tips, shot great for me and killed well on small game.
    Beaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    Thanks all, some good stuff there.

I brought a chassis, while have a drink one night...... and now need to put something in it. Chassis is for tikka,.....

Still not to sure on twist rate. I like the idea of real fast and resultant pink mist, but like the heavier the projectile is better too.

I think speed is going to win.....
    I suppose you could just buy an action and pick any barrel profile and twist you fancy? 1-9 sounds like the best of both worlds to my very limited knowledge... Or is it a case of you miss the very best of both worlds and get somewhere inbetween? Tikka actions must be a dime a dozen what with all these lost bolts I keep hearing about.
    Beaker likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt