Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 22 rimfire ammo

22 rimfire ammo

Hi Guys ,

I have just shoot some CCI SV ( std velocity ) ammo & some SK std plus , the in simple terms , as far as consistant velocities go , they are virtually the same , BUT , the SK ammo is over double the cost of the CCI SV .

CCI Av 1061 fps , SD 13.8 , ES 42

SK Av 1044 fps , SD 13.1 , ES 40

This is for 10 shots .

For double the price I expected the German SK ammo to have been much better than the budget CCI ammo .

This is out of a Anschutz with std barrel lenght , I think of 22 inches ?

This is just velocity , not accuracy/group size etc , But if you are shooting long range with the 22LR , maybe you want tighter velocity control .

I am going shoot the rubbish Remington bucket of bullets tomorrow , see what I get .

Later Chris
    JRW87 likes this.

The CCI Std shoots well in most of my 22s. The SK in some of them is like your results, no better than the CCI Std. However, in my Walther silo the SK is superb as is old Fiocchi V320 Super Match that I still have some of. As always you need to try several brands across several rifles. The big difference between the CCI and the more expensive Lapua (SK) is that the CCI will occasionally throw a shot outside of the group. And that is any of my 22s including my Anschutz SB rifle and the Walther. The CCI subs do the same odd shot out thing as well. Recently tried a whole lot of different grades of RWS and one grade of Geco. Don't think the extra expense of the RWS is warranted. Also tried some Mex Fiocchi subs which I have seen people raving about - they were terrible, certainly nothing like the Italian made match Fiocchi that I have. Still love the CCI ammo though - value for money.
    Last edited by zimmer; 01-07-2015 at 04:21 PM.

Caretaker

22 rimfire ammo

Try the winchester T22 solids

Was epic for long range shooting 25yrs ago

New packaging

A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I think the Killwell subsonics are rebranded winchester?

@7mmsaum yes back then I used to use the yellow box T22s or PMC match for silo shooting in an Anschutz silo rifle. Both were excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by JRW87 View Post
    I think the Killwell subsonics are rebranded winchester?
    Yep, the headstamp says so...

I find the CCI STD Target to shoot the same as CCI Subsonic hunting in my CZ, but Lapua seem's to shoot much better.
    Neither appear to be super dooper consistent, not as consistent as I would have expected considering how accurate it can be.

At $429 for 5k of CCI SV , I think its the one to beat .

The best I have used for accuracy is the Lapua Scoremax , to ME it was the best EVER , so YOU know what Lapua did , YEAP , STOP making it .
    It was basically , Olympic grade , Biathlon ammo , that was subsonic & heavy bullet 48grs , velocity was 315m/s
    JRW87 likes this.

No , I cannot afford Winchester 22 ammo ( Win think thier stuff is gold dust & now price accordingly ) , as I donot think its really cost effective for me , at the prices they are asking NOW , me I would MUCH sooner sink the same money into Lapua rimfire ammo .

I've had no difference between RWS and SK for my target rifle, CCI SV while cost effective for plinking doesn't cut it, for me. And RWS is less waxy than SK.

RWS is sold from ShootingStuff
    http://www.shootingstuff.co.nz/

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    I've had no difference between RWS and SK for my target rifle, CCI SV while cost effective for plinking doesn't cut it, for me. And RWS is less waxy than SK.

RWS is sold from ShootingStuff
    http://www.shootingstuff.co.nz/
    They are good to deal with 2

I am just in the process of collecting a bunch of different brand 22LR ammunition to re-do the ammunition selection for my sako quad varmint. So far I have some Norma, SK, lapua, and Eley to try. I have previously tried a bunch of other brands as well. I might have to try and get some of the RWS stuff and try it as well.

I have been using the lapua polar biathlon ammunition in my quad with great success. And then I tried it in my mauser 107 and found it to be freaking awesome - about MOA at 200m! This realisation that my $300 light weight 22LR out shoots my Sako Quad has led me to redo the ammunition selection!
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

For my CMMG AR15 conversion the CCI std has shot the best and its about the cheapest!
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Just shoot the Rem bucket of bullets ,

Av 1167 fps , SD 36.7
    ES 108 fps

MSL
    I like to shoot the Italian made fiocchi high velocity 32gr.