Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By johnd

Thread: .222 Load data wanted

.222 Load data wanted

Hi All,
    I'm about to start reloading for a Rem 700 .222 that I bought off trademe. I'm wanting to develop a varmint load (lots of use) and also a deer/goat (very little use) load. Was thinking about a 40g V max for the varmint and a 50g Barnes TTSX for the deer/goat load. But not se on either.

What are peoples favourite loads????

Cheers,

Rich
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

if you went 45 grn or 50 grn in both you would be able to use same charge and possibly even have same or very similar poi.
    the hornady 50 grn spsx and speer 50 grn hpfb are both awesome wee pills in my .223 on wallabies/hares etc and the speers have been put to use on pigs when they popped up. the barnes are great too.
    Rich007 likes this.

I went heavy on the projectile in my 222 not as heavy as they go in 223 . I use 55 grain hornady soft points. Group well and kill well too. I use AR 2208 and 2206. If you do go lighter on the pills the 2208 will not fit enough powder for max loads
    Rich007 likes this.

Do any of you want any new cases I have 100 winchester going cheap they are primed with Federal

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I use 50 ttsx in mine. Norma case. Federal primer. 24 grains BM2. 23 inch barrel at 3150fps.

Just thinking out loud here ..... why do you need two different loads, .... I get it that 40 grainers doing warp 3 is fun and gets that lovely red mist, but if you just stayed with a heavier hunting pill for both its just a matter of elevation change for longer shot placement on pests. And by just using one projectile style you can bulk buy ( like under 20 cents a pill, means you can shoot for less win win in my book.

johnd.......Ive thought long and hard about how best to answer that as your point does have merit. where dual loading really shines is that it gives you great results at BOTH ends of preformance spectrum VS really good in middle and just ok at each end.
    eg the barnes or partition load is very good for deer/pigs as you can safely shoulder shoot all but the biggest of beasties at the sub 150 yard range we talking,all my deer are chest/shoulder shots and they go down pretty darn quickly.
    the soft varmit type loads (softest Ive used are hornady SPSX and speer) give you margin for error on smaller critters eg Ive shot rabbits with .30/30 and had to run them down as zero expansion,or rabbit shot through eyes with .222 with hardr load again zero expansion so didnt die where as a softer load would have given major shock if not decapitation,similarly you shoot small game and wind drift/movement/pushing range causes a 3" error of aim and you hit small animal in guts or arse end with a mid-hard projectile and it will crawl away to suffer as projectile wont do enough damage to kill it out right,hit it with a soft pill and it wont go anywhere...this isnt new concept,its talked about in my first edition Nosler manual when shooting groundhogs with super accurate match bullet isnt as good as a softer not quite as accurate one for same reasons.

the 50 grain speer flat base hollow point is a great wee pill that shoots accurately in my .223 at about the 3000fps mark (light loads suit me) the 110lb boar that popped up at 30 yards copped one in the swede and didnt care less as was D.O.A. they soft enough to be great on wallabies but for dedicated rabbit/hare load I would have to go with TNT or VMax they also have bonus of reduced chance of richocette as they blow up/fly to bits on impact.