Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 223 or 5.56

223 or 5.56

Hi all, wanting to know if this ammo is 5.56 or 223 my neighbor gave me some with the stamp on the base is PSD 89 it is solid nose with crimped primers. I don't want to risk using it without being sure. Thanks

Caretaker
    PMC ammo made in Korea

89 is the year of manufacture

If it has a primer crimp then 95% chance it's 5.56
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

PSD is PMC's military head stamp

What sort of rifle were you going to use it in Kiwiman?

I have a marlin 223, and looking closer at the ammo and comparing it with my winchester stuff it looks like the shoulder is different, don't think I'll use it.

I wouldn't even think twice about putting either through my gun, if it was bad they'd throw big warnings everywhere about it.
    Tommy likes this.

I will happily shoot it , how much ya got , and what you want for it ?
    cheers
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

hey stumpy I've got 78 rounds hows 20 new brass or 40 once fired 223 brass maybe winchester or Remington, or even a box new box of winchester. hows that sound.

Look on the base if it has the nato + it should be 556.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by small_caliber View Post
    5.56 is the military equivalent of .223, the only real difference is the 5.56 is usually loaded with a heavier solid point projectile than the .223 Rem.

Both can usually be shot in either rifle, except sometimes some .223's have a slower twist than what is required to stabilise the heavier projectile.

So it's safe to shoot it in your 223 but depending on twist it may not stabilise.
    True 5.56 is loaded hotter. It's advisable not to shoot it in a .223. Projectile weight is meaningless - 5.56 loads are available from 55-77gr. 5.56 max pressure is more than commericial .223. SAAMI and NATO measure it at different locations but it is definitely warmer.

I was under the impression that 556x45 was 223. Just like 7.62x51 is also 308 and 7.62x63 is 30/06. The metric designations are used mainly as some country's actively ban imperial measurements. I know that some of the 7.62x51 has been made to fire in full auto rifles so is made to eject easier and I am happy to be corrected, but a little evidence to back up any reply would help as all the research I have seen supports what I thought. Including one rifle here labelled as ".223 (5.56x45)" and another rife that I have here that is labelled ".308 (7.62x51)".

I will concede that usually those that make it labelled 556 are for military rate twists and have a heavier projectile (and sometimes a hotter load to push the heavier projectile, but My 223 will shoot and of them happily. It is more accurate with the lighter pills but that is due to the twist rate not the calibre.

A simple google search of ".223 vs 5.56" leads to lots of sites saying they're NOT the same, and to mix them up is inviting trouble.

http://bearingarms.com/223-remington...ould-hurt-you/
    veitnamcam likes this.

I have often used military/NATO ammunition in bolt action hunting rifles chambered in .223 or .308 and certainly noticed signs of higher pressure,such as difficulty opening the bolt and increased muzzle blast.

With these rifles,have a look in the Owners Manual under Ammunition...there may be a recommendation. Otherwise an e-mail to the rifle manufacturer should get you a definitive answer.

steven and Jexla like this.

So what about this then?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  192.3 KB