Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

.223 Rem and 5.56mm x 45

Ok so have the new Howa 1500 chambered in .223 Rem, question is....... can I use 5.56mm x 45 NATO in it? Was looking on Wikipedia earlier and they reckoned while you can use a .223 Rem cartridge in a firearm chambered in 5.56 NATO that it wouldn't be recomended to use 5.56 NATO in a firearm chambered in .223 Rem as the load would be too hot and create too much pressure............
    Whats the go here?
    Is it safe or not?
    Appreciate your help
    Matt

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Yes, that's pretty much the case but I think there's more to the issue than wikipedia suggests. If you want to use either with a degree of safety, you need a chambering like .223 Wylde.

Ray.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

It can be an issue if you shoot LOADED 5.56 NATO ammo in a tight .223 chamber. The brass is fine, just remember it is thicker and has less volume.

Rule of thumb...223 is civilian and 5.56 is military. The latter having different specs from the army boffins.

Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    Yes, that's pretty much the case but I think there's more to the issue than wikipedia suggests. If you want to use either with a degree of safety, you need a chambering like .223 Wylde.

Ray.
    I believe it has to do with jump from case to rifling, think I will just sit with the .223 Rem ammo for the time until I get into reloading seems to be the safer option and doesnt seem to cost too much as opposed to my old 7mm Rem Mag should be a blast ...........thanks guys much appreciated

I'd like to know where you buy NATO spec 5.56 ammo from anyway? Can't say I have seen any for sale locally.

Seems longer throat is the difference.......I dug around on the net and found some detial on the difference, will check my history and see if I can find the link. But it did take a bit of digging to find specifics............
    Machete don't text!
    (.)(.) = :-)))

Quote Originally Posted by Bulltahr View Post
    Seems longer throat is the difference.......I dug around on the net and found some detial on the difference, will check my history and see if I can find the link. But it did take a bit of digging to find specifics............
    this is what I had heard too.
    If you don't get Dirt, Blood or Grease under your nails it ain't a hobby

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I'd like to know where you buy NATO spec 5.56 ammo from anyway? Can't say I have seen any for sale locally.
    You could occaisionally get cases (1000 rounds) of it from GS, SAI etc. I bought the last case of M193 (55 grain ball) that GS Auckland had about a year ago for $700. It was FN stuff and has been very good. Havent seen any since. Nowadays it would be nice to find SS109 61 grain stuff.

Ray.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    You could occaisionally get cases (1000 rounds) of it from GS, SAI etc. I bought the last case of M193 (55 grain ball) that GS Auckland had about a year ago for $700. It was FN stuff and has been very good. Havent seen any since. Nowadays it would be nice to find SS109 61 grain stuff.

Ray.
    Hey Ray, you can buy some non mil-spec 223 stuff from Barnaul for cheaper than that. Take a look (BARNAUL - Price Lists). They've got some 62 grain stuff and some 55 grain stuff. It's all steel cased though. I run that in my SKS (because I'm too poor for an AR some day).

I find the accuracy of Barnaul .223 ammo to be "service grade" at best. On the old IMAS forum a member miked some Barnaul projectiles and they came out at a true .223, rather than .224. Other than that I find it to be pretty reliable ammo. Goes bang every time and doesn't cause stoppages. You can get the projectiles pretty cheap actually, $38 for 200, $160 for 1000. That FNB ammo was a good score, useless to me though as both my AR uppers are fast twist.