Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: .243 for 500m shots

Thanks Gimp, a fast twist shooting the 103 X or 108 eldm is pretty much what I am looking at, both well north of .5bc and launched circa 3000fps.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    243 and wind is the only problem I have had. I've proper sacked red stags at 400m with 105Amax and 243AI so I'm not believing the too small ideas. Joules are joules in my book. The extra pace had helped though with about 3100fps from the AI. Current 243Win is a work in progress and is still not the right gun for me in big country. I plan to run the 100g Sierra SPT this Spring-Summer and maybe trial the 100g GK as well.
    muzr257 and Timmay like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    Thanks Gimp, a fast twist shooting the 103 X or 108 eldm is pretty much what I am looking at, both well north of .5bc and launched circa 3000fps.
    It would work but I just can't think of any compelling reason to bother when .260, 6.5CM, 6.5x55 exist
    Savage1, GWH, BRADS and 4 others like this.

Iv more than few reds at 500yds plus with 243. Yet to need a second shot. To be fair it is the ai version with 105 vlds pushing 3170 and Im unlikely to be any ones client so take it as you will.
    Timmay and Pengy like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

There is 100g pill at 3000fps, mine don't go this fast but was an example. I would not feel comfortable shooting one beyond 200-250m. 1000 foot lbs tip out at 380m. How are you getting 500??

We owe it to the animals. Sure in exceptional circumstances with the right shooter maybe but not new in experienced shooters. I'm afraid I'm not a believer. Paper yes animal now sorry

Hamish

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    BRADS, Mooseman and Tim Dicko like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

What brick are you using

Name:  Screenshot_20170909-085152.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  188.6 KB
    Last edited by Timmay; 09-09-2017 at 10:10 AM.

Shot a shit load of reds and fallow with my little 243. Cheap as chips to run. Not too many shot over 3 or 400 m though. Head shots to 200 ish and neck after that. They always drop. This is just using basic old factory bombs though nothing fancy. Easier to get closer or use a bigger bang stick for longer range, that's the point of them
    kiwijames, BRADS and Mooseman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    I've seen lots of animals shot with them mate and consider the effective range a lot less.
    I think the 243 is a fantastic calibre but realise it's limitations.
    If your where a client hunting with a 243 300 yards would be the maximum distance you'd be aloud to shoot from.
    Hope you find this helpful Remember clean kills are where it's at.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Im a big 243 fan and have shot many reds, pigs , goats ,stags with one. i agree with Brads. Its a fantastic cal but i normally wouldnt like to shoot anything over 300m and if anything recommend 250m odd max . i use 100gr pills but in saying that it is capable of longer range but i think theres better horses for courses if shooting beyond that range. I have shot a red yearlying at 330m and dropped it on the spot with my 243 but wouldnt like to attempt that too often hence why bought a 308 for areas that require that sort of range.
    500m is way too far in my in opinion for the awesome 243 but it is still on the cards with a accrurate rifle, good shooter and the right pill but really, why would you when there is a ton of other Cals more suited for that range with better knock down power.

northdude
    the question that hasn't been asked is are we talking targets or animals if targets id say no problem it would be fine animals well that would come down to the experience of the shooter I guess it could be done humanely in the right hands the 222 was used for long enough some of us don't have an endless budget to spend on rifles so have to make do with what we have me personally I prefer to get at or under 200m with any cal I'm using
    BRADS and john m like this.

Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done. If you're going to go and purposely build a rifle to shoot deer at 500yds than 243 probably shouldnt be your first choice....
    GWH, mikee and deer243 like this.

northdude
    why not if that's what you like it would be a pretty boring world if we all had the same rifle ive successfully shot animals beyond what most would consider is acceptable for a 222 but that's what I had at the time I don't make a habbit of it and wouldn't suggest a newbie does it but it can be done in the right hands

One of these

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Yeah I got Tobys Poo 70 out to 1300 yards at Tobys shoot last year so it is possible ....
    Don't believe it. They barely make it to the end of the barrel.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Savage1 and BRADS like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Don't believe it. They barely make it to the end of the barrel.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Remember that when you bury your head in the sand, your arse is still exposed to be kicked.
    Timmay and Ryan_Songhurst like this.