Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

25 06 Rem load data / accuracy / terminal ballistics discussion

Hi Guys

I should be getting my 25 06 back from my gunsmith later today. P17 action.
    It has a new 26" S/S barrel with a heavy contour (maybe a #3) heaps of meat at the chamber.
    The barrel maker managed to do a 9.5 twist which may be an advantage with the 120gr projectiles.
    I also had to get a new boyds laminated stock as there wasn't enough wood around the barrel with my old stock and the new heavy barrel. Its has two aluminium pilliars and is glass bedded. Quite a weighty unit, but should be real nice to shoot.
    Will post pics later.

So back to load data. I know a few of you have kindly replied to a past thread for me, but I'm going to start afresh.
    I have AR 2217, 2209 and 2208. Will try 2213sc if required.
    I have Federal 215 magnum primers and 215 magnum match primers, Also CCI Large rifle primers for my 303-25.
    I have 117gr SST, 117gr Pro Hunters, 90 gr Gamekings, 75gr V-max, 80gr Blitzkings and have just purchased some Speer 120gr BTSP which have the best BC of .480 for a 25 cal projectile.

Any load data and info on accuracy/terminal ballistics would be appreciated.

sneakywaza I got
    You might want to have a closer look at the Speer bc given, you will find it is somewhat........ optimistic (and I am being generous putting it that way!). The highest BC for a mass production to the open market for .25 cal, is the Berger VLD at .466. Confirmed by none other than Bryan Litz. (The most respected ballistics guy on the planet.
    - 117 SST and 117 Prohunter have identical terminal performance.
    - Keep the 90 Gameking for varmints only, or for outside at least 250yds if the animal is bigger than a Wallaby (or George Gregan)
    - 2217 is outstanding in a proper length barrel

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    You might want to have a closer look at the Speer bc given, you will find it is somewhat........ optimistic (and I am being generous putting it that way!). The highest BC for a mass production to the open market for .25 cal, is the Berger VLD at .466. Confirmed by none other than Bryan Litz. (The most respected ballistics guy on the planet.
    - 117 SST and 117 Prohunter have identical terminal performance.
    - Keep the 90 Gameking for varmints only, or for outside at least 250yds if the animal is bigger than a Wallaby (or George Gregan)
    - 2217 is outstanding in a proper length barrel
    Hmmm yeah that annoys me if the BC is BS because that's why I purchased the Speer 120gr. Have you used them in the past?
    So with a 26" barrel I should stick with the 2217. Work up loads at .5g intervals to find the sweet spot.
    I got my rifle back last night so am ready to go.

sneakywaza I got
    I have some 80TTSX, some 110 Accubond and some other random .257 projectiles surplus to test if you want , pm me an addy ect if you want me to post them up.