Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Gibo
  • 1 Post By 257weatherby
  • 1 Post By scottrods

Thread: 270 reloading

270 reloading

I feel I could be opening a can of worms here ?? Ahhh wth
    I'm reloading for a mate . People's thought s I'm going with Hornady 130 gr sst
    I ve loaded 10 of each and yet to test them probably Goin around it the wrong way in fact I am but wtf so 10 x 54 gr of AR 2209
    10 x 45 gr AR 2206h
    10 x 58 gr AR 2213sc
    As those the only powders I use in any of my reloads
    So horse's for courses
    What maybe my best option and what are yours ?? For what reasons?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    BURN BABY BURN
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Frankly I would have just used 2209 and done different powder charges in 0.5gn increments.
    As it is, you are guessing that the 54gn is going to get a good result and same with the 2206H (too fast IMO) and 2213.

PS, key to loading for another rifle is the head space and setting the dies up properly.
    Was the brass from his rifle?
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Frankly I would have just used 2209 and done different powder charges in 0.5gn increments.
    As it is, you are guessing that the 54gn is going to get a good result and same with the 2206H (too fast IMO) and 2213.

PS, key to loading for another rifle is the head space and setting the dies up properly.
    Was the brass from his rifle?
    no its not ....yeah I know I should ve been working it up ,, just playing atm
    BURN BABY BURN
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

geezejonesy likes this.

With 2209 load in 1 gn increments from 52 to 56 gns with a 130. load 2213 from 57 to 61 gns in 1 gn increments.
    Some long throated .270's will take a couple grains more 2213. If it was me, I'd load 1 of each and do a "ladder test" at a range of at least 100 meters. Look for the loads that shoot close to each other and then load that charge and loads of 0.5 of a grain on either side of that charge.
    Save the 2206h for a .223 or .308

Run 58gr 2213c with Barnes 130 TTSX and 59gr with 110gr TTSX.

sneakywaza I got
    Stop with the 2206, now, right now!

You have two other powders that work in .270, so choose one, and pick a start load.
    Test that load until you confirm it does or does not work, altering only seating depth.
    2213 (H4831) is the traditional number one .270 powder, I would start there.
    Not sure about the 130 SST in .270, wouldn't use it myself, but to cross reference possible rifle preferences also test a projectile with a different form factor, such as 130 Sierra Prohunter if 130gn is the weight you are stuck on..

The PH will likely need to be seated 60-80 thou deeper than the SST's optimum depth, assuming you find one.
    Micky Duck likes this.

AR2213sc does the bizo for me in the .270
    the 2206 keep for smaller cases its ok but not as good as the other in .270
    130s for open country and say a 150 grn partition for in the scrub or roaring big stags up close and he will be set.
    ok so you have FL resized for him...that's ok, a partial length resize from here on out might be just the ticket (works for me)
    SST???? don't know haven't tried them...whats he wanting to shoot???? goats and wallabies fall over with just about any load,just poke pill through shoulders "ya cant drive a car with no front wheels" for fallow you wont need a super hard pill either but if looking at mainly reds and/or pigs I would be a little more picky
    130 Nosler ballistic tips or 130grn speer spfb are my open country loads and 170grn speers (no that's not a typo) for the bush.

Thx everyone for your help full advice all has been taken on board will stop using the 2206 .. felt that the 2213 is the best for the 270 from the beginning .
    The rifle is his late father's and understandably won't get rid of it . He may not use it for much Hunting just wants to work up a load .get it shooting straight .which may also mean a new scope ... another can of worms ...
    I'm just trying to point him in the right direction and give him the best advice possible

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    BURN BABY BURN

I've loaded those Hornady SST for my Rem700. Seat to the cannelure. Load info in the thread below. Love their accuracy.

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...ady-sst-23196/
    geezejonesy likes this.