Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 30-06

30-06

Hi Team putting a few loads together for the 30-06 got some IMR4350 , Winchester large rifle primers & Amax 178 grn projectiles...seemly a max load of 56grn of powder so im loading a few up at 55grn first ,previously when loading for the 25-06 I get the projectile touching the lands...iv set the 30-06 to do the same...its the first batch im making for it so just a little cautious was thinking perhaps I should seat a little further back...thoughts ?
    Cheers.

Had to go all the way to page 12 before I found any info on the 30-06 was beginning to think no one else had one !! basically all iv ever done to find seating depth is to resize a case gently split the neck twice with a hacksaw place projectile in so its sticking well out & load it in the rifle 3-4 times usally with the 25-06 I leave it at that but iv done a bit of online research what im reading for the 30-06 is to back it off a little & perhaps drop back to 54gn of powder for a starter.il give it a go & report back.
    Any info you experienced guys have would be great.Thanks

I always start 20 thou of the lands, or at max magazine length,
    Tons of 3006 info, in Canada and USA, likely the most common hunting rifle.

From memory 56.5gr 2209 was my load with 165gr projectiles on my 3006. Was only about 2700 from my 22" barrel. Got upto 2800 with 58gr but groups opened up.
    I'd say you are in the right area.

So you'd have no probs sitting projectile on the lands ? I did 4 small batches last night 2 lots at 55 grn & 2 at 56 only difference is the seating depth I gave 8 of them 1 full turn less than the others so far I don't think there is any "jump" with any of them but if they don't shoot well il back it off some more.

Have worked up many loads over the years for my 3006. Some average, and some very good considering they are going through my trusty old Mauser 98.
    Some ofthe better loads were:

2206H with 130gr TTSX ( 3010 ft/s great accuracy)
    2206H with 165gr Gameking
    H414 with 150gr Interlock
    H414 with 165gr Gameking
    2209 with 165gr Gameking (current Hunting load)
    2209 with 150gr Sierra Spitzer
    2209 with 190gr Berger VLD (seated to lands, very accurate)

Have tried quite a few other projectiles with average results on my rifle.

Thanks for the reply , so far this gun (bsa cf2) doesn't like lighter ammo iv tried 150 hornday sst & federal 150 both couldn't hit the backside of a barn put the sst,s through it today & wow some shots be 8-9 inches apart ! it shoots the 165 sst,s ok I think il get some of those underway , today the 178 Amax went pretty good best group at 100.
    Name:  IMG_1482 (Copy).JPG
Views: 220
Size:  133.8 KB

Pretty happy with that it,s half a grain off the max load of 56.5gn of IMR4350 its got some thump to her with that load il try seating the bullet a little deeper see if I can tighten the group a little.Cheers