Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 300BLK Projectiles etc

300BLK Projectiles etc

Hey there
    I am looking for some advice on where to source 300BLK Projectiles and powder ...
    I am after some cheaper projectiles just for range use and then some projectiles for hunting ..then I guess some for subsonic use ...
    Info on barrel ... 16" .. 1/7 Twist
    If you have any advice ,could you post links to items/prices please/

Thanks in advance

Seano

Suggestions I've gone with....

Have an almost exact match set up 16.2" 1:7 twist Ruger American Ranch.

ADI 2205 Powder 17gr with 125 Nosler Hunting (spitzers), Federal match primers (small) gets you to 2170 fps. Not too fast that the rounds pencil through. I've been told the Speer 300cal round that has the big wide hole oin the front is a really good one to use also

Subs Trying some Lehigh Max expansion Goat @#&%$@'s 196gr 9gr of 2205 same set up as above... Fun but very expensive !!!
    There's a guy in Tokoroa doing 220 gr plinking rounds for .25c each which you should get onto and a guy on Tard me selling cheap brass.

Those are probably the important bits...

Hi Seano, powder selection seems to be a problem at the moment in NZ, i use n110 for my subs and 2205 for the supers. 2205 looks like it is available and is good to use for the lighter subs but is great for 125bt supers around 18gr but you will have to work out the load for your rifle( mine is an AR 13.5in barrel 1 in 8.5 and suppressor).
    Gunworks seem to have 2205 and have 110gr rn carbine bullets for sale @ $25 for 100, they should feed fine but you never know. Some times on tardme you can pick up old lots of heavy 30cals cheap but this cartridge is getting popular so get in quick.
    The BT's($50 for 50) are good for hunting and will take out a large undisturbed deer, as for the sub hunting 240gr sierra MK($60 for 50) have worked well for me in the past as with my rifle combo they are a bit unstable and tumble violently on impact, other users have had them pencil through(remmy bolt gun 1 in 7 20" barrel).
    I have loaded up some Lehigh 168cf bullets($103 for 50) and they look to be the business with large cavities in wet cardboard and exploding milk containers ( not like the shotgun slug though ) they are like a little hand grenade after 4" of penetration.
    A great fun caliber to shoot, enjoy.

lehigh for subs , Barnes 110 grn blk for hunting lil gun powder for all.The 240grn smk's were the worst grouping of all the subs I tried.1:8 twist 12" match barrel

Good luck getting lil gun I've been on the waiting list for 5 months - hence using the 2205 - Same manufacturer i think...

Yes gotta try the Barnes 110's just haven't found any up here!

Speer Bullets - Product Details
    Speer 130griners shoot accurately and are good for goats at 300aac velocities.
    If you want some cheap plinkers and range ammo 147g ADI/Military projectiles are good to go.
    240grain match kings shoot accurately at sub sonic velocities but are very expensive.
    lil gun is good stuff, ADI now has loading data but I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks for your input fella's gives me a few things to look into.
    Just thought Id ask about using "TrailBoss" for Sub's .... or would this not be a good idea ?

Cheers again in advance

No need, trail boss is used to take up room in a case there is not that much when you put a 220-240 grn projectile in a 300 aac case hence why this calibre is good at subs and supersonics.
    seano likes this.

I have Brass ordered for next week,will also be looking at buying a range of projectiles,powder & Dies next week or so...

Just got back from the range testing some loads. Had a few old 150gr SST collecting dust and loaded them up going subsonic with a 2" group at 100m, needs more tweaking and some Nosler 125gr BT @ 1990 fps with a 1/4" group at 100m so got that load sorted at last. Also shot some steel out to 400m with the 125 BT for sh#ts and giggles and got 5" 10 shot group but had some a bit of wind. I didn't want to waste to many subs will leave them for hunting until I get some more heavy 30 cal pills. The mrs was 30m behind me with the dog and she thought I was chucking stones at the 100m target because it was so quiet.
    I have only tried ADI 2205 powder at the moment but keen to try W296/H110 and Trail Boss.

New 300 BLK update after a few days at the range.
    Finally got some accurate loads going, it has taken a lot of mucking around with different seating and charge weight, mainly because I wanted my rifle to shoot every projectile I have tried.

150gr SST @ 1060 fps 1" group at 100m ( very quiet )

125gr BT @ 2050 fps 4" group at 400m (shooting steel) swapped the Aimpoint for a Nightforce

208gr A-Max @ 1060 fps .9" group at 100m ( still more work needed )

230gr OTM @ 1000 fps .75" group at 100m

194gr Lehigh ME @ 1060 fps .5 group at 100m

This target was a 5 shot, prone off a bipod in a forestry and using a 4MOA Aimpoint. The sight is zeroed for 60m as most animals are within that distance. So had to aim high and had to put the bottom of the red dot on the top of the target page.

veitnamcam, Grue, seano and 2 others like this.

Nice, it's always good when you get your rifle shooting like that Tikka, The velocity spread on the lehigh load is impressive are you preparing your brass any particular way? I was loading the 168 lehighs and could not get them to shoot to well went back to full thickness neck and annealed and the velocity came down to a reasonable spread. Shooting the 125BT today at 300y like you 2050fps, shot into 18inches of wet cardboard to see if it penciled through or not pleasantly surprised by the force of impact and the cavitation caused, on impact the 125BT only has about 550ft-lbs and about 1400fps so i wasn't sure if it would expand or not.In about 4inches the bullet opened up into a "wound" channel about the size of a beer bottle and fragmented with penetration the full 18inches.
    Anyway good shooting thanks for posting any results, this is a versatile caliber when you know what it can do.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by tikka View Post
    Finally got some accurate loads going, it has taken a lot of mucking around with different seating and charge weight, mainly because I wanted my rifle to shoot every projectile I have tried.

150gr SST @ 1060 fps 1" group at 100m ( very quiet )

125gr BT @ 2050 fps 4" group at 400m (shooting steel) swapped the Aimpoint for a Nightforce

208gr A-Max @ 1060 fps .9" group at 100m ( still more work needed )

230gr OTM @ 1000 fps .75" group at 100m

194gr Lehigh ME @ 1060 fps .5 group at 100m

This target was a 5 shot, prone off a bipod in a forestry and using a 4MOA Aimpoint. The sight is zeroed for 60m as most animals are within that distance. So had to aim high and had to put the bottom of the red dot on the top of the target page.
    Far out that's some awesome shooting..
    It's such a fantastic little cartridge, you will find it hard to match those sub loads with other large center fire cartridges.
    Last edited by 300CALMAN; 02-05-2015 at 12:00 AM.

ODL
    Quote Originally Posted by tikka View Post
    What an outstanding bit of shooting! Would you care to share the ogive length or OAL of the rounds? Are you crimping?

I haven't had a chance to do much shooting lately but a mate of mine said he is definitely getting better accuracy after crimping. Both on subs and supers. I am not loading anymore til the crimp arrives in a week or two.
    Oceania-Defence.com

ODL if you are using a Lee crimp die , you may want to crimp it twice , & spin the case a little , so you get crimp all the way around , as the Lee die has been split 4 ways , and leaves 4 little un-crimped sections on your brass case .
    I use a Lee crimp die very lightly on my 22 Hornet cases , works well .
    Also isnt Lapua making 300BLK brass now ?

Later Chris