Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: .308 projectile selection- 1 bullet for all my uses

.308 projectile selection- 1 bullet for all my uses

Hey guys,

Purchased a Howa .308 and scoped it with a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40.

Will be used for coyotes and whitetail deer (bigger than a fallow slightly smaller than a red but shit they are tough).

Both present shots at 50-400 yards and I will dial for elevation and hold for wind.

A bullet to do it all? You may say it doesn't exist but I just cannot be assed doing two loads and re sighting etc. I just want one round that I can use year round.

150 SST?

Oh and Im not worried about keeping coyote skins- pest control only
    I could just post it on a predator forum or something over here but I don't want to cheat on NZHS
    7mmsaum likes this.

150 ABs?

165 SST or interlock ? I found the 150 SST to explodey for my liking up close but great 200 plus
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

sneakywaza I got
    165 SST, 178 Amax, 150 Prohunter, at normal 308 velocity all three will mallet anything large or small at close range irrespective of shot angle, but still mallet it at distance, reliably.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    165 SST, 178 Amax, 150 Prohunter, at normal 308 velocity all three will mallet anything large or small at close range irrespective of shot angle, but still mallet it at distance, reliably.
    What sort of velocities are you getting with the 178 and 165? The extra wind bucking down range could be a bonus. Especially on the coyotes.

Usually these are shot over the corn stubble at considerable distance. In reality, much like NZ... You prepare to shoot at 200-400 yards but end up putting the barrel on its nose

I like the serria prohunters they are very accurate for target shooting but also kill well for hunting and there's a good range of weights to suit you and your rifle

I reckon thw 165gn SST

I use 150gn Prohunters and 155gn AMaxes in my .308 for hunting purposes.
    Welcome to Sako club.

All of the above. I'm with the 150AB for now.
    Dan M

Ejected
    Without question the Barnes 130g TTSX is the projectile for you. Enough punch to take down any deer species. I will still open up at point blank range on something as lightly built as a possum. The only down side is the cost but if you are just using them on game thats not a big issue.

150 or 165 grain Sierra gameking. Reliable, accurate, functional.
    sako75 and Toby like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    Without question the Barnes 130g TTSX is the projectile for you. Enough punch to take down any deer species. I will still open up at point blank range on something as lightly built as a possum. The only down side is the cost but if you are just using them on game thats not a big issue.
    I am one of there biggest advocates, I didn't mention it here because 400 odd yards is past where I have used it and they really like impact speed to deliver shock.

350 is as far as I have used it on reds and I was running them just shy of 3200fps, have you used them further and will they still deliver enough shock to drop them on the spot with a lung shot?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I am one of there biggest advocates, I didn't mention it here because 400 odd yards is past where I have used it and they really like impact speed to deliver shock.

350 is as far as I have used it on reds and I was running them just shy of 3200fps, have you used them further and will they still deliver enough shock to drop them on the spot with a lung shot?
    Iam interested as well, never to late to change, in one way I agree. Lighter projectiles on fellow which works on all I have shot.
    I have shot for over the last 20 years using 110gn good out to 300 but have shot 400 500 600 on goats.
    But in the main no more than 300 and they have never let me down sighted in 31/2"@100yd.
    Now why I use the wee pill is there is no loss of meat, I hit one using 150gn years ago and my mind still bleeds from it! carried and dragged it 5k only to find when I hung it up the front was mostly stuffed.
    That was a fellow, that's when I changed the thinking on what will work best for my type of hunting.
    Most deer are shot under 200 the 110gn thumb nails at 100yd all neck head shot- rule number ..## If you can't make the shot don't take the shot.
    It's all been said before.
    Those 130's should do the same as the 110 with more energy when they arrive
    Any deer I have seen hit even with the 270 in the lung department all go for a run some not to many yards some 60+yrds down hill.
    well that's my two cents.
    KH
    Last edited by Kiwi-Hunter; 18-12-2014 at 01:45 AM.
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

SO...

I am now more confused than when I started... Had considered SST and the sierra and kind of the amax. those TTSX look pretty sweet on though just looking at the reviews.

And still an OK BC for the lighter weight bullet. And only $34 for 50 over here so not too bad. Wont be shooting that many as only usually get one shot on a coyote or a coon

Had a pot shot at a 'yote with the .22 today. He was a little far away unfortunately but the biggest one ive ever seen. Probably the size of a german shepherd.

Dont get to confused or buy into all the bullshit. Just get whatever and go shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Dont get to confused or buy into all the bullshit. Just get whatever and go shooting.
    Easy to say but I would rather do it once and do it properly. Ladder test, select load, load as many as I can in a morning. Don't do it again for a long time lol
    gadgetman likes this.