Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: 308 ttsx

Quote Originally Posted by Pongo12 View Post
    I just wanna smack red stags over in the bush and scrub without dragging my 300wm through the shit. Something thats not going to let me down really. From 10 to 300m

It is the perfect bush range projectile IMO,I have even shot unintentionally threw a branch about as thick as my wrist which fortunately was only about 3m in front of the shoulder and still not recovered the projectile. It had obviously hit pre expanded as the bruising on the onside shoulder was more like you would expect of a amax/sst where as "normal" damage with them is you can eat right up to the hole...maybe a 6 inch diameter bruise at most.

Quote Originally Posted by tikka View Post
    I dropped a few big reds with the Barnes 130ttsx over 50gr of 2208 ( max compressed load ) @ around 3000fps from memory in a 20" 308win. They did a better job at close range than the 150gr sst that would blow to bits on the skin at times.
    Yep....I went to the 150sst from the 150 interloc in an effort to increase effective range and had fail to penetrate vitals broadside on shoulder shot 3 times in two weeks at around 30yards and a week after that front on chest(lung shot threw the hole the esophagus goes threw) shot on a young stag a 200y dropped him like a sack of spuds but no part of the projectile managed to penetrate the diaphragm...It may have been a bad batch or even just a bad box but I vowed never to use them again.

I ran the 130 ttsx with for a start 52gr 2208 mag primer full mag length full Sako barrel for around 3250 fps.That is a stupid load don't try to copy it it is extremely difficult to get that much 2208 in a 308 case. Went down to 51.6gr which is also an absolute pain in the arse to get in.....use 2206h or H335 instead.
    Shearer, sambnz and Pongo12 like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I've also got a few 165 sst to play with but I have heard people getting mixed results using them. Many of yo had problems with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Pongo12 View Post
    I've also got a few 165 sst to play with but I have heard people getting mixed results using them. Many of yo had problems with them?
    I had no issue when shooting beyond 200m with the 150sst it killed well, I mainly used the 130ttsx for point blank shooting then swap to the 150 sst for long range shots.
    veitnamcam and Pongo12 like this.

Ejected
    There are an article in one of the hunting comics where they simulated shooting through thick bush by shooting different projectiles through bunches of dowles. SST was one of the worse performing and TTSX was one of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    There are an article in one of the hunting comics where they simulated shooting through thick bush by shooting different projectiles through bunches of dowles. SST was one of the worse performing and TTSX was one of the best.
    What was the best best?

That'd be interesting to read if you could find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ejected
    Not sure if i still have the comic but will have a look when i get home. Interlocks and TTSX were first equal.

Not sure if i still have the comic but will have a look when i get home. Interlocks and TTSX were first equal.
    I think I might have read one of them in the Durvil hut.....MEH

Basically if your projectile glances a branch very close to you and some distance from the target your stuffed, its simple physics and angle of deflection,if the obstruction is very close to the target any deflection will be minimal and it is down to projectile construction/impact velocity what happens next.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Iraqveteran8888 has a tube vid where he shoots different cals thru brush. Really interesting. There's a link to it in the forum somewhere but forget what thread

I decided to run sierra 150 game kings for now. got them going well at 2820fps with 2206h. cheers all for the input and help.

Name:  IMG_0637.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  518.5 KBName:  IMG_0639.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  649.9 KBName:  IMG_0653.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  1.02 MB
    veitnamcam, wsm junkie and john m like this.

Ejected
    Sierras have shot well in every rifle I have tried them in.
    wsm junkie and Pongo12 like this.