Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 338wm

338wm

Hey guys just bought a Remington 700 xcr II 338wm. What loads are ppl running through there 338s?
    Im thinking i will go a 210gr ttsx for close hunting but want something to reach out. Thinking the berger 250gr hunting bullet.
    Anyone got data on these pills

Quote Originally Posted by HartHunter2 View Post
    Hey guys just bought a Remington 700 xcr II 338wm. What loads are ppl running through there 338s?
    Im thinking i will go a 210gr ttsx for close hunting but want something to reach out. Thinking the berger 250gr hunting bullet.
    Anyone got data on these pills
    You will probably get more joy from your Aussie mates than over here with the 338 Win mag.

The 250 EHs are quite popular over there in the 338 Rums & Win Mags.

I shot more deer with the 200gr Nosler B Tip & AB than anything else and they killed very well out to 500yds but the more i learnt about long range ballistics the more i realized they were lacking, especially in the wind. I ran the numbers and found that nothing could come close to the 300gr match so used it for all ranges, only going to a Barnes X or Nosler Partition for the big boys. The recoil started to effect me so i fitted a break but that did nothing but make it loud and dusty and now i just had Darren (DPT) fit a suppressor. What diff that made, its so nice to shoot now i might leave the 338 fed & 338 Lapua imp at home a bit more.

Picking Retumbo/ADI2225 would be the answer too. But have little experience with a 338WM.

I do have to ask; how big are those Sambar over there?

Yeah they are big in body mature stag can weigh 350kg

Have a look on the Canada or Alaska forums, its a pretty common up here, and I know several guys who have one, know just as many, who had one, and esp in a light tikka, couldn't shoot it well, Got a mate who swears by 225 accubond and R22,
    I run a 9.3x62 with 250 accubonds at full throttle.