Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: 45-70 reloading casts - what is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    I quite enjoy reloading BP
    I think that smokeless stuff is just a passing fad.
    Tommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    I think that smokeless stuff is just a passing fad.
    Yeah , I reckon so too.

I think it`s already gone, the new guns are sporting a muffler on the end to hide the smoke so you don`t know that your new .223 wissogissmo is shooting black powder!!
    Marty Henry likes this.

I do wonder how well that would work????? would the good stuff effect the suppressor????

Ahh Some BP and scoop and in she goes, a couple of wads and a cookie, wack in a projectile and away you go!! No stuffing around with scales and dribbles and precision this and that, I even listen to the wireless while I do it! Can even light up a small amount a sniff it, if im in the mood
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

@shooternz despite your advice I have ordered some lee moulds, I have no doubt that you are right but it's a cheaper way for me to get started and I am going to try my damnedest to get the 500 to work in my Marlin before I give up. @rossi.45 I reckon something like that ladder sight will be my goal. If I manage to get the 1000 yards chances are I'll pull all the gear off the marlin and put it on something like a snider or sharps and turn the marlin back in to a bush gun. But until then I'm already excited to get started on my somewhat counter productive project

Good luck at 1000 with a snider, I could watch that all day. This is the creedmore position mentioned before which was popular for long range. With a short barrel you may want to ensure your knee is still there after each shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by LoganRobertson View Post
    @shooternz despite your advice I have ordered some lee moulds, I have no doubt that you are right but it's a cheaper way for me to get started and I am going to try my damnedest to get the 500 to work in my Marlin before I give up. @rossi.45 I reckon something like that ladder sight will be my goal. If I manage to get the 1000 yards chances are I'll pull all the gear off the marlin and put it on something like a snider or sharps and turn the marlin back in to a bush gun. But until then I'm already excited to get started on my somewhat counter productive project
    if you look after the LEE molds they will work just fine and give years of good service . . no doubt if the habbit of casting holds you will have a box of many molds in your future.

check these guys out . . . months of reading here

Cast Boolits

counter productive project . . No way . . . you have limitations in the rifle you have chosen but thats all, stick to your guns and you will have successes . . . hopefully you will continue this thread and tell us how you get on

R.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

The Snider is not known for it accuracy, much is to do with the projectile, the original was sorta hollow with a clay fill in it. I have a few, but my interest in the .577 was short lived!!
    Marty Henry and rossi.45 like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Also the fact that the twist rate was 1:72 and the projectile was only 1.5 times bore diameter, basically a oblong round ball with a hollow nose and base. But if you did hit something woomph!!!
    Maca49 likes this.

I’d like a double rifle in that caliber, I know where there is one but paying for it would hurt a lot more than the recoil of pulling both triggers at once. I have a Cape gun that I use a 577 projectile in.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Probably the best bullet in your marlin is going to be something arround 350-450gn as far as I understand they don't like super heavy bullets honestly the chances of you pulling off 1000 yards with a marlin lever action is about the same odds as the pope not being catholic
    The 1000 yard bpcr shooting is done with stuff like sharps rifles with very long barrels and generally larger than 45-70.....45-90 or 45-110 normally that gives you the ability to run 600-700gn bullets and still ave enough room in the case for a decent charge of powder
    The targets are massive but they still stuggle to hit them normally

I shoot a h&r springfeild trapdoor copy for bpcr
    I shoot a 420gn lyman bullet
    And I have just brought a mold for the original 1873 government bullet which is a 405gn hollow base

I have 420's here so if you pm me your address ill send you some
    I haven't cast any 405's yet but can send you some when i do

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    Probably the best bullet in your marlin is going to be something arround 350-450gn as far as I understand they don't like super heavy bullets honestly the chances of you pulling off 1000 yards with a marlin lever action is about the same odds as the pope not being catholic
    The 1000 yard bpcr shooting is done with stuff like sharps rifles with very long barrels and generally larger than 45-70.....45-90 or 45-110 normally that gives you the ability to run 600-700gn bullets and still ave enough room in the case for a decent charge of powder
    The targets are massive but they still stuggle to hit them normally

I shoot a h&r springfeild trapdoor copy for bpcr
    I shoot a 420gn lyman bullet
    And I have just brought a mold for the original 1873 government bullet which is a 405gn hollow base

I have 420's here so if you pm me your address ill send you some
    I haven't cast any 405's yet but can send you some when i do

Cheers

this guy did it . . . standing up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zruU2xLcm1o

R.

So could i if i had enough ammo like him lol
    Im talking consistent hits not the odd fluke
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    So could i if i had enough ammo like him lol
    Im talking consistent hits not the odd fluke
    if he put a decent set of sights on his guide gun he would do better, this is not hunting, its target shooting where you adjust fire untill the target is hit !

your talking about consistant hits at 1000yds . . . its not about you rambo, what you want, you are fckin amazing, not in a good way

there are guys hitting targets at +1000yds with the likes of the .30/30 with iron ladder sights

this is a classic problem with the internet . . . . guys who say it cant be done - because they cant !
    Last edited by rossi.45; 23-09-2017 at 03:59 PM.