Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 50grain Vmax shooting well through Tikka 22-250

50grain Vmax shooting well through Tikka 22-250

Put together a new load on the weekend for the 22-250.

To be honest the vmax probably isn't the ideal projectile for me as I shoot a few deer with the 22-250 as well as everything else that walks out in front of me but thought id give them a nudge anyway so bought 200 of them.

Fired a few groups off a table that weren't super flash so I lay down prone with the bipod and put one steady five shot group through it.

Was happy with that to say the least so went back home, loaded 70 at that and went out blasting peacocks. Confidently headshot a hare at 150meters which was fairly gruesome also. They seem to put goats down alright but like I mentioned, not really an ideal load for shooting deer anywhere but the head or neck.

Might pull the chrony out and see how fast they are going at some point, theyd be fair moving id say.

Load is 36grains IMR4895 which is max. Scales are sticking a little so I think it could be closer to 37 grains. No pressure signs. Cheap Highland/PPU brass and Hornady match primers.

First shot went a touch low - that was me. Still a bloody tight five shot group.

Name:  IMG_1605.JPG
Views: 347
Size:  151.6 KB

Nice shooting! Good to see 5 shot groups too. You could try Nosler ballistic tips, they have a more solid base that might penetrate deer a touch better.

Sent from my GT-I8190T using Tapatalk

Sounds like they could be worth a look might try those next - I love these vmax and amax for their incredible accuracy - i get groups just as good with my 300 from the 168grain amax. Im going to do a load of Norma soft points and see how they compare for accuracy, that's what i've aways used before but have never bothered to actually try to shoot decent groups with them, just a few to sight in then go hunting.

Im enjoying same loads in my 22-250.. They are a very accurate load for my Tikka and the Kimber and you re right
    its a one shot for a smaller pest... Magpies turn into a small pillow fight ..
    Feather or Shoot and Ranal like this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    Sounds like they could be worth a look might try those next - I love these vmax and amax for their incredible accuracy - i get groups just as good with my 300 from the 168grain amax. Im going to do a load of Norma soft points and see how they compare for accuracy, that's what i've aways used before but have never bothered to actually try to shoot decent groups with them, just a few to sight in then go hunting.
    Which Normas? I loaded up some deer rounds for the 22-250 with Oryxs, but I've never taken them out, and they're big blunt slow things. Punch a huge hole in the bank though.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Great shooting., like the 250.
    Feather or Shoot likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Feather or Shoot View Post
    Which Normas? I loaded up some deer rounds for the 22-250 with Oryxs, but I've never taken them out, and they're big blunt slow things. Punch a huge hole in the bank though.

https://www.norma.cc/en/Products/Hun...on/Soft-Point/ these ones, not the oryx. they shoot well and kill deer just fine

Nice. Where do you get them from? Bulk order?

Local gun stores in wanganui, pretty sure I've ordered them through reloaders supplies before too. I used about three hundred rounds of factory highland/ppu in the couple of years since I got this particular 22-250 which shot pretty good too actually. I just hadn't bothered reloading for this one yet. Some rifles just shoot most anything well I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice shooting. I use the 55gr Z-max for rabbots in my T3 22-250, but for some reason they have stopped making them and are now only making 50gr?? The Z-Max a cheaper than the V-Max in bulk, not sure why, but are just as accurate and shoot to the same POA as the V-Max. Rabbots hate them

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    Nice shooting. I use the 55gr Z-max for rabbots in my T3 22-250, but for some reason they have stopped making them and are now only making 50gr?? The Z-Max a cheaper than the V-Max in bulk, not sure why, but are just as accurate and shoot to the same POA as the V-Max. Rabbots hate them
    They're the same thing with different coloured tip. I shoot the v-max purely because every time I go to buy more projectiles the z-max are out of stock everywhere,...and maybe because if you're using Hornady you want a red tip,....and maybe a little because making ammo for zombies is retarded and I can't quite bring myself to buy it.

rossi.45 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Feather or Shoot View Post
    They're the same thing with different coloured tip. I shoot the v-max purely because every time I go to buy more projectiles the z-max are out of stock everywhere,...and maybe because if you're using Hornady you want a red tip,....and maybe a little because making ammo for zombies is retarded and I can't quite bring myself to buy it.

I did quite a bit of research on the Z-Max, and they are actually made in a different factory to the V-Max, supposedly a much newer and more efficient plant, which is supposedly why the bulk price on them is cheaper when buying in boxes of 250. Jacket is 99% the same as the V-Max based on sectioning I have seen. The cool thing is that they shoot to the exact same POA through the two guns I have tested so 100% interchangeable for me, when I can get them.

Nailed some peacocks out to 400meters with this load on the weekend. Shoots good. Also shot a fallow and some goats. Gotta place your shot somewhere soft tho doesn't go too well on shoulder shot goats up close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the 50 gr V-Max in a 222 Rem for a while and found them very accurate and explosive. Rabbits were pretty messy after a direct hit at most ranges. I would be a bit worried about using them on larger than small game, I shot a Billy with one at about 70 yards and it took off but did fall over after 100 odd yards. I opened it up and the bullet had hit the shoulder and splattered with only small bits getting into the lungs and chest cavity. With the extra speed of the 22 250 I would think they would blow to pieces worst than the 222 and cause possible losses on bigger animals. I use the 55 gr Noslar Ballistic tips in my 22 250 and have found them pretty good on most things, deer (Fallow) included.

The billy that ran a 100 odd yards with a 50 gr V-Max in the shoulder.Name:  12.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  888.3 KB