Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Which 6.5

In my opinion theres no need for anything bigger than an 08 case in nz unless your into super long range shooting
    An 08 case no matter which one is good to 400-500 yards which for the average hunter is plenty
    A 260 rem while it's what i shoot and love it struggles in barrels shorter than 18 inch so if you want to go short and still have semi longrange legs id go for an ai version

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    In my opinion theres no need for anything bigger than an 08 case in nz unless your into super long range shooting
    An 08 case no matter which one is good to 400-500 yards which for the average hunter is plenty
    A 260 rem while it's what i shoot and love it struggles in barrels shorter than 18 inch so if you want to go short and still have semi longrange legs id go for an ai version
    Ok thanks for that I thought the AI versions used slower powders and so preffered longer barrels ? I agree with the 08 thoughts you have.

AI in a short barrel seems counter productive to me, if your going to AI I'd want 22-24"+ to get the speed gain.
    Danny likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

You all need to look at the for sale section now
    Danny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    Ok thanks for that I thought the AI versions used slower powders and so preffered longer barrels ? I agree with the 08 thoughts you have.
    I know sweet FA about AI only read that there is a speed gain but that may only be with longer barrels I don't know
    if you keep at 18 inches with a dpt overbarrel (talking tikka's here) they are 22 inches (factory length) with the suppressor attached

my theory and I could be wrong to a point is that you need to burn all the powder or as much as possible anyway inside the barrel
    so that being said what I mean is that speed wise from a very short 14-16 inch barrel you wouldn't get MUCH extra from a 7mmrem mag (maybe a tiny amount) than you would out of a 7-08 coz the extra powder the rem mag has is just getting wasted burning in mid air where it has no affect on the projectile

sneakywaza I got
    6.5 Swede can be loaded hard as fuck, I am running an 18" barrel and get:
    -2700fps with the 143 ELD:
    -2900fps with the 130 Berger VLD
    -3100FPS with the 120 TTSX (stiff load that one!)
    To be fair, for some random reason, the god of barrel velocity wouldn't let me get more from a full length T3 6.5x55 barrel .

Utterly no need to go AI, unless you are running a full length barrel.
    Timmay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    To be fair, for some random reason, the god of barrel velocity wouldn't let me get more from a full length T3 6.5x55 barrel .

what powder are you using and in what rifle?
    i have a sako85 and will reload for it next year.
    Dead is better and Smiddy like this.

sneakywaza I got
    I don't know at what point your rifle will blow primers, or when the bolt gets sticky, or what brass you are using, or the neck tension your brass has, how tight your chamber is, or where you can seat any given projectile in your action, a load from my T3 might could very easily give you a visit to your gunsmith to get your bolt out (or worse!)

Get an ADI manual max as a start point, and go from there.
    nor-west and Pengy like this.

my 260 lol
    199p and Gibo like this.

I don't know at what point your rifle will blow primers, or when the bolt gets sticky, or what brass you are using, or the neck tension your brass has, how tight your chamber is, or where you can seat any given projectile in your action, a load from my T3 might could very easily give you a visit to your gunsmith to get your bolt out (or worse!)

Get an ADI manual max as a start point, and go from there.
    I was going to say, a visit to the doctor to get the bolt out ! :-)
    shooternz likes this.

When you run those mv's and projectles on AB you find that the 130's beat the 143's to 1000m. Fair bit flatter. To me that raises a serious question as to why anyone wants to shoot steel with them. For hunting I can see why. Hell, might as well try those 147gn when they arrive

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    What do I want to achieve.
    Lighter rifle platform,
    most shooting under 300M but able to confidently shoot to 400 when needed ( not a game changer though )
    Short barrel of 20 inches or less.
    I like to reload so need to consider seating ability / variations which impacts on action length ?
    If reloading then you are able to consider any case with perhaps a preference for readily available quality brass and dies, and all common cases will deliver a 130gr or 140gr ELD or Berger at above 2000 ft/sec at 400m from 20". If in your mind weight dictates a short action and you want to be able to experiment with the seating for at least touching the lands with the above mentioned bullets and with a chamber cut to suit a 140gr bullet (say >0.160" freebore) then that sets the COL. For a COL to be under 2.85" only the 6.5x47 or perhaps the CM case length meet these requirements with the shorter being more flexible in respect of seating for jammed. For a slightly longer magazine then the 260Rem is back in the frame. You'll need to do the calculations from the exact reamer dimensions, magazine length, and bullet profile, but for a short action I think you'll find the choice would be whittled down to those three.
    madjon_ likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    For a shorter barreled 6.5, I would consider the 6.5 Creed. These an interesting test done here. 6.5 Creedmoor — Barrel Cut-Down Velocity Tests « Daily Bulletin
    I run a 24.5" barrelled 260Imp and have considered building a short barreled 6.5 for the bush too and I'd seriously look at a shorter powder column and run a more efficient case to barrel length.

I love the old 6.5x55. tried and proven. The others are mostly trying to achieve or improve on what the 6.5x55 started. Ease of ammo and brass availability is worth considering. And luckily my one really liked the Sellior and Bellot ammo. Always nice when it likes cheaper food....

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I've been using the x55 for some years now, 140gr amax @2730 odd
    Works for me out to as far as I can shoot.

I hear the 142/3 gr is supposed to be better ,
    gadgetman and shooternz like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?