Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By zimmer
  • 1 Post By 7x64
  • 1 Post By outdoorlad

Thread: 6.5 x 55 minimum trim to length?

Lee trimmer getting shorter

Hi Guys

Just looking for some help with case trimming.

I've got a Lee case length gauge/trimmer and it is taking my 6.5 cases down to as short as 2.148 . that's well short of the 2.155 in the manuals. Is this a problem? I can't find much on minimum trim lengths. The Lee website says 2.145 - 2.155 is the trim to range

Looking at the trimmer length gauge it is slightly peened on one side and the locking base does have a slight indent where the gauge bottoms out on it. Do these things wear out and shorten over time? Actually, looking back over my notes, this same trimmer was taking them to 2.151 12 months ago so I guess yeah.

Wondering about maybe getting a lathe type bench mounted trimmer instead. Any recommendations there? Workshop Innovation has the Wilson

cheers
    Last edited by WillB; 06-02-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Most manuals say 2.155". Vihtavuori 2.157".
    I have used the Lee case length gauge/trimmer (have bench trimmer as well) in the past and have found them good enough. Have never had one "change" dimensions. Your locking base (stud) shouldn't have the indent though. You haven't been driving it with a batt drill have you?

As for your cases now being 7 thou short I wouldn't sweat on it too much. My 6.5x55AI brass once formed out of std 6.5 Swede brass ends around 15 thou short and it hasn't caused any issues. Fractionally (very fractionaly) less neck support maybe but not significant.

The Wilson trimmer is the Rolls Royce of bench trimmers.

The trim to length in manuals is an industry std safety figure. With my custom chamberings in most cases I can run my cases longer than the manual stated lengths. I have measured all my chamber/neck lengths and also worked off the reamer drawings and set my bench trimmer accordingly.

I would initially just get a new lock stud and try that - they are as cheap as chips. Also measure the length of the rod from the cutter flutes to the tip. I cannot see how it would have got shorter, as they are quite hard.
    WillB likes this.

Thanks very much. Great advice as always, Zimmer. I will do just that. Really appreciate it.

Oh and yes, been running it with a power drill. But it does come with a power drill attachment on the lock stud so should be ok, surely?

As you are aware the trim to length is more about not having a case too long and having projectile pinching on release and dangerous pressures rather than having a case a tad short.

Quote Originally Posted by WillB View Post
    Oh and yes, been running it with a power drill. But it does come with a power drill attachment on the lock stud so should be ok, surely?
    Yeah, mine has the same attachment but has always just turned it by hand. That is the beauty of the wee Lee. If you check after each resizing you get a feel for how much the case grows and whether you need to trim every time. With the 6.5SM I wouldn't expect much growth so it is easy to just give the Lee a quick turn by hand.

Yes, maybe not such a big issue as long as it's not insanely short. Anyway it'll get longer again in no time!

I will get another lock stud as you suggest: the cutter and gauge combination seems to be about 2.150 which is the length Lee claims for it so yes probably hasn't shortened.

You can get a little wooden handle for the lock stud I think. Would make it more comfortable to hold.

Quote Originally Posted by WillB View Post
    You can get a little wooden handle for the lock stud I think. Would make it more comfortable to hold.
    Old golf ball works fine too, just whack a hole in it.
    WillB likes this.

As an aside, I had a 6.5x55 round that wouldn't chamber the other day, it had been full length sized. When I got it home & pulled it I found that it was 12 thou over the max book length! I trimmed it & it still wouldn't chamber so ran it thru the die again & now it's fine. I think with it being so long it didn't resize fully, it had only been fired 3 times, the rest of them were under or a touch over. A reminder not to assume to much when reloading. (Lapua brass)
    GWH likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!