Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 7.62x39 subsonic

7.62x39 subsonic

anyone have a proven recipe for subs for a 7.62x39
    I got given 25 loaded rounds by a mate and he said I should pull one apart and find a powder that looks the same!!!!! glad he doesn't reload lol
    veitnamcam, mikee, Feral and 1 others like this.

NZ Guns & Hunting Magazine, Issue 147, Mar/Apr 2015

Apologies for the crap photos.
    veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    NZ Guns & Hunting Magazine, Issue 147, Mar/Apr 2015

Apologies for the crap photos.
    Hahaha I know why the photos are shite

7gr of trailboss and a 165gr cast projectile in the jw103 apparently. The guy I bought mine of gave me the load data, I've got the projs, but haven't got around to loading any myself. Send me your eddy mate I'll post you a handful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Hahaha I know why the photos are shite

7gr of trailboss and a 165gr cast projectile in the jw103 apparently. The guy I bought mine of gave me the load data, I've got the projs, but haven't got around to loading any myself. Send me your eddy mate I'll post you a handful.
    will do cheers @Tommy

I love this calibre and it's super cool, 7gr of Trail boss, it's gotta fall like a stone, .22lr would have a better trajectory.. ?

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    I love this calibre and it's super cool, 7gr of Trail boss, it's gotta fall like a stone, .22lr would have a better trajectory.. ?
    No subsonic rounds all have much the same trajectory even high BC ones at 1000 fps gravity is the winner
    mikee likes this.

Can't you just wait a couple of hundred yards and it'll get there by itself?.

yeah the trajectory would be/ is shit for hunting perposes I would say you'd only wanna be shooting 50m but at that distance a 220 gain at subsonic speeds is going to hit like a brick
    for me its not for hunting just a bit of fun ill use full house loads for hunting..... if I even hunt with it over the 260 that is

At those speeds it is the speed only that determines trajectory. A 22 at 1000fps and a 220gr 30 cal at 1000fps will have effectively the same trajectory as the gravity will have the same effect on both. At longer ranges, the heavier bullets retain momentum and are harder to slow but at 1000fps (or there abouts) they are not going to make it far enough for that to make a difference.

Where these types of loads really work is tight bush and close up personal stuff or where ears are important. And its your ears, your dogs ears and potentially the ears of the animal that is next to the one you just shot......just like rabbits but bigger.....Bail guns running subs on bailed pigs or dispatching a farm animal with out disturbing the whole herd....

And for those that like to get close, it is as challenging as archery...
    veitnamcam, mikee, Tommy and 1 others like this.

well Im still in process of trying to get mine down to cat sneeze volume.... was loading 6-7 grns trail boss behind a cast 151 grn pill with magnum primer but they still about same noise as subsonic .22 if not slightly more..... its got me stumped as they seem louder now than when I first made some up a couple of years back.....
    recently tried without the magnum primer and have reduced down to 4.5 grns TB ....they much quieter....might just have to put some over chrony to determine if issue is suppressor is no longer functioning as it should..... still plurry good fun and drop my house muttons without any fuss,head shots at 25yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    well Im still in process of trying to get mine down to cat sneeze volume.... was loading 6-7 grns trail boss behind a cast 151 grn pill with magnum primer but they still about same noise as subsonic .22 if not slightly more..... its got me stumped as they seem louder now than when I first made some up a couple of years back.....
    recently tried without the magnum primer and have reduced down to 4.5 grns TB ....they much quieter....might just have to put some over chrony to determine if issue is suppressor is no longer functioning as it should..... still plurry good fun and drop my house muttons without any fuss,head shots at 25yards.
    Rather than drop the load, have you tried heavier bullets? 220gr or 200gr casts. That will further slow the bullet speed without reducing energy.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Rather than drop the load, have you tried heavier bullets? 220gr or 200gr casts. That will further slow the bullet speed without reducing energy.
    The twist rate of the JW doesn't lend itself to projectiles that heavy unfortunately. From what I have read 170gr is about the max. Also, the more mass you can push, for the same velocity = more kinetic energy. Obviously with a V^2 function speed is nice, but when you are capped by being under the magic 1050 fps that extra 15gr can't be a bad thing.
    Feral likes this.

tried the 170s and they were similar volume noisewise ..cant see much point in going heavier when the 150s are penertrating enough now,and cant see how going heavier will give any more expansion . penertration yes but not doing any good in hillside behind animal. these puppies bounce of into distance enough as it is without giving them MORE momentum to continue.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Fair point

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    tried the 170s and they were similar volume noisewise ..cant see much point in going heavier when the 150s are penertrating enough now,and cant see how going heavier will give any more expansion . penertration yes but not doing any good in hillside behind animal. these puppies bounce of into distance enough as it is without giving them MORE momentum to continue.
    Hi Micky Duck got any pic's of recovered bullets, I get lots of feedback on them but no pictures, have 2 bullets returned that look good have mushroomed perfectly to around .500" like to have a few more.