Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 7mm08 suppressed loads

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Have you tried typing" bullets"? its quite easy even for those of us without thumbs. Yes the polymer tip serves the same purpose for all manufactures but a ballistic tip is a bullet made by nosler, its a softish skinned cup and core projectile designed to be effective at longer ranges with lower velocities.Other than actually being a bullet it has very little in common with the hornady interbond,nosler accubond , Barnes ttsx and the like.
    I irrationally dislike the word bullet. I have got thumbs ya cheeky bugger just maybe just one or two more than I am supposed to have. Ballistic tip is trademarked by Nosler. Plenty of others IMHO achieve the same/similar terminal performance and are arguably better than the Nosler.

Its incorrect but bullet just sounds like the whole cartridge to me. Irrational ?

As sneeze said "Ballistic tip" is a nosler trade mark For what was originally designed and intended as a varmint bullet IE extremely frangible (blows apart)
    They proved very accurate(for most) and inevitably they were used for big game resulting in both hammer of thor and epic fails as you would expect.
    Thus they were redesigned to be slightly less frangible but still one of the most frangible pills out there.

Lumping all plastic tips together as "ballistic tips" is confusing and unfair to the manufacturers. The performance of all the plastic tip PILLS varys widely.
    Match the PILL (man Im getting lazy now) to the intended IMPACT velocity.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I irrationally dislike the word bullet. I have got thumbs ya cheeky bugger just maybe just one or two more than I am supposed to have. Ballistic tip is trademarked by Nosler. Plenty of others IMHO achieve the same/similar terminal performance and are arguably better than the Nosler.
    The lack of thumbs is my problem remember? tyres swinging from ropes? termites? I'll type this a bit slower so you can keep up.Yes you can argue others are better but how dose that make all bullets with a polymer tip ballistic tips?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Today, 08:28 PM #17 veitnamcam
    View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message Add as Contact

Computer Knob end

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join Dateec 2011
    Posts:853Its incorrect but bullet just sounds like the whole cartridge to me. Irrational ?

As sneeze said "Ballistic tip" is a nosler trade mark For what was originally designed and intended as a varmint bullet IE extremely frangible (blows apart)
    They proved very accurate(for most) and inevitably they were used for big game resulting in both hammer of thor and epic fails as you would expect.
    Thus they were redesigned to be slightly less frangible but still one of the most frangible pills out there.

Lumping all plastic tips together as "ballistic tips" is confusing and unfair to the manufacturers. The performance of all the plastic tip PILLS varys widely.
    Match the PILL (man I'm getting lazy now) to the intended IMPACT velocity.

I think I remember reading in the nosler book that the ballistic tip was originally designed as longer range hunting bullet after one of the Nosler family shot an elk(?) at a fair distance with a 30-06. The varmint "pills" came latter. But now I'm straying from irrational into pedantic

Hmmmm..... the copy paste the quote thing has a diferent effect now.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

R93
    [QUOTE=sneeze;18251]The lack of thumbs is my problem remember? tyres swinging from ropes? termites? I'll type this a bit slower so you can keep up.Yes you can argue others are better but how dose that make all bullets with a polymer tip ballistic tips?

It doesnt, not my point at all. Ballistic tip is a trademark name on a Nosler projectile. There are only some subtle and slight differences that can be used through them all. Jacket wall thickness and ammount of lead core and shape. They are still made of lead, copper and polymer/plastic. Grades of each can vary yes, but it is still just a projectile. The Amax is seriously close in design and performance, no? Yet it is not a ballistic tip because of trademark.
    You dont have to type slower, just include more pictures so I can keep up in future.

Name:  bullets-AMAX-cutaway.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  3.4 KB
    Last edited by R93; 06-05-2012 at 01:50 AM.

R93
    I tried to upload both the A-max and the Ballistic tip, for a visable comparison and for some reason it didnt work. BC's and sectional density aside the only visable difference is the copper base of the nosler is thicker than the A-max. The tip design is just about identical depending on what the tip is made from, polymer/plastic. Therefore you could expect the tip's terminal performance to be similar. It is all I am trying to get at. I said in an earlier post that others were arguably better, I meant to say similar. The toe on my forehead is not the best to type with.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by R93; 06-05-2012 at 02:18 AM.

Yeah pictures are good.
    Well it seems irrational and pedantic rules so: amax and ballistic tip close? yeah I can see that, but what about an accubond? identical to a ballistic tip in every way except it has a bonded core.Its even made by Nosler but in terminal performance terms they are chalk and cheese.The barnes TTSX has a polymer tip but has no lead at all and performs nothing like a ballistic tip .I know a few guys that have red hair,calling then all "ginga" gets a little confusing so I use the names they where given and everyone knows who I'm talking about.Well as much as anyone ever knows what I talking about.

R93
    Yeah pictures are good.
    Well it seems irrational and pedantic rules so: amax and ballistic tip close? yeah I can see that, but what about an accubond? identical to a ballistic tip in every way except it has a bonded core.Its even made by Nosler but in terminal performance terms they are chalk and cheese.The barnes TTSX has a polymer tip but has no lead at all and performs nothing like a ballistic tip .I know a few guys that have red hair,calling then all "ginga" gets a little confusing so I use the names they where given and everyone knows who I'm talking about.Well as much as anyone ever knows what I talking about.

I think I remember reading in the nosler book that the ballistic tip was originally designed as longer range hunting bullet after one of the Nosler family shot an elk(?) at a fair distance with a 30-06. The varmint "pills" came latter. But now I'm straying from irrational into pedantic
    Yep and if you look hard you will also find that originally they were all the same jacket in all available cals and were later introduced with a much thicker rearward section (6mm cal and up)of the jacket to try and arrest expansion/fragmentation.
    These were labeled Hunting and the originals Varmint.

Yeah na I cant look, all my books are home and i wont be for a while,but thats sort of how I remember it only I thought the original design was for a hunting bullet wihich turned out to be a good varmint bullet not the other way round,been a good couple of years since I read it though and my memory's not what it used to be.
    The couple of balistic tips I'v sectioned accually looked a lot like the old nosler soild base only with a polymer tip.

However you look at it it was redesigned to perform better on big game in certain cals. Varminting is still hunting depending on veiw point

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    However you look at it it was redesigned to perform better on big game in certain cals. Varminting is still hunting depending on veiw point
    When it comes to pedantic irrational hijacked threads the point or pointlessness is all in the detail.
    7mmsaum likes this.

This thread has wandered.....
    Are you wanting the bullet not to exit to avoid risk to the dogs during the bail?
    I would be trying a bullet of soft construction if thats what your after
    If you want something to lay the hammer on them up close I would look at something in the 160gr lead nose range
    R93 likes this.