Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Mathias
  • 1 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: 7x57 load

7x57 load

Hey all as I'm assembling my Christmas present (thank you very much mrs claws)
    Have started looking for load data on 7x57. Now the rifle is a BSA cf2 so has a good strong action.
    I've surfed around the web and found some interesting posts.
    I've also two loads to build. 160 partition with H 4350 powder, this is for driven boar.
    162 amax have not gotten powder for this as yet. Primers will be Remington LR brass Hornady.
    Cheers

Oh dose anyone use 7x57?

No, but on my "to buy" list is a bsa in 7x57 so I can refinish the stock, have the blue redone also, put a period correct kahles scope on it and wander the hills thinking of the old days

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    No, but on my "to buy" list is a bsa in 7x57 so I can refinish the stock, have the blue redone also, put a period correct kahles scope on it and wander the hills thinking of the old days
    Been there done that, had 2 BSA Hunters. One had a really nice McClunie custom stock with a Kahles.

I used to use WW760 as a go to powder, a bit dirty being a typical ball powder but gave excellent accuracy & speed when used with a mag Fed mag primer. I was only shooting 139gr Hornadys tho. It's an excellent nostalgic round to use, always been a favourite.
    Sideshow likes this.

I had one for a while, used 2209 with 162gr projectiles. Mine had a really long throat so my loads were above book max, but no pressure signs. I got them upto 2700fps pretty easily.
    Sideshow likes this.

check out the book "new zealand hunting rifles" think thats what its called...CH will know for sure...good info on 7x57 loading in there.

Used to have one and used the 139 gr Hornady most of the time, brother has one and he is using 140gr Barnes TSX with AR 2208 at close to 2800 fps.
    Sideshow likes this.

Originally I used N203 in my 7x57, but then had difficulty sourcing it. So I worked up a load using 42 and 43 gns of 2206H. I tried 2206H because my barrel is 18" and needs a faster powder to get some speed. 42gn's of 2206H gives mr 2714fps, and groups of 1.1-1.2moa. 43gns gives me about 50fps faster, but opens up the groups a little, so I've settled on 42. Thats with the 140gn SGK

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Originally I used N203 in my 7x57, but then had difficulty sourcing it. So I worked up a load using 42 and 43 gns of 2206H. I tried 2206H because my barrel is 18" and needs a faster powder to get some speed. 42gn's of 2206H gives mr 2714fps, and groups of 1.1-1.2moa. 43gns gives me about 50fps faster, but opens up the groups a little, so I've settled on 42. Thats with the 140gn SGK
    Year mines a 24" 1/9 twist but I'm looking in the heavy bullet category. Have had a look at the 7/08 load data as it's very close.

Micky Duck that book sounds interesting I'll have a look for it. Might be a bit of a struggle me being in the uk though

Sum info in Tobys 7x57 thread, year and a half ago.
    I had this link to the other forum.
    FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 - Winchester Model 70, 7x57, range report.

Hope it helps.
    I had a BSA Cf2, .270 fitted with a 26" Douglas barrel, shot great, but too flippen heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    Sum info in Tobys 7x57 thread, year and a half ago.
    I had this link to the other forum.
    FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 - Winchester Model 70, 7x57, range report.

Hope it helps.
    I had a BSA Cf2, .270 fitted with a 26" Douglas barrel, shot great, but too flippen heavy.
    Wicked thanks southernman!

big fat round or flat nose pill with heaps of exposed lead at the tip would get my vote, push it along at not to silly of speed and watch the critters crumple. that tales care of anything under 200 yards...past that find a partition of around the 150grn weight and you wont go far wrong..... thats coming from a poohseventy man.
    nor-west likes this.