Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tertle
  • 1 Post By Maca49
  • 1 Post By Maca49

Thread: Advice on rook rifle 300

Advice on rook rifle 300

some time ago i purchases a stunning couple of rifles, both old girls, one working the other somewhat of a parts rifle, but would make great rebuilds, i even got 100 bertram case!

Some of the images are here, its an old post Rook Rifles - All About Enfields

I had a friend, Jeff Brown "Cast bullet Kid" as well as Jim from CBE moulds (yes the old owner) actually make a specific lead mould for the rifle and jim recently came over to NZ and he and jeff had a small tinker with the rifle.

However we have run into a problem

Cases are not extracting and after looking at the cases the seem to be narrow 1/3 of the way up, then bulging ever so slightly, enough to make extraction near impossible, I've put a couple of images below. the one case on the left is unfired, the 2 cases after neck turning and once fired are on the right.

is there any way of rectifying this? yes they are old rifles with little practical use today however they are great wee rifles with a lot of history and style, thoughts???
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    gadgetman likes this.

It's Tomato Time! - Palmers Garden Centre

I would think that it would need reaming, or lots of abrasive polishing, to get it to a taper.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Bertram brass can be a pain, is there anything you can fire form or can you tap the Bertram in and fire it to size it? I have to do this with one of my 45/70s
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Jeff turned the brass to get it to fit, i was hoping and i know it sound silly and possibly impossible but some how sleaving the breach? there must be a way? i might see if the barrel can come out and get a better look in there

Looking again, hone the breech out
    Tertle likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Bertram brass can be a pain, is there anything you can fire form or can you tap the Bertram in and fire it to size it? I have to do this with one of my 45/70s

the brass goes in easy enough once slightly turned down but extracting is poor!!!!

My old go to guide for old timers says .317 neck, .319 base 1.17 case oal might pay to mike the things and engineers blue the chamber fire one and see.

Your shooting BP in it?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I'm trying to get my 12.7x44r to fire, takes a second cock of the hammer to ingnite the primer, large rifle, the firing pin is off centre, so tonight is going to be large pistol primers!!Ahh old firearms are an ass at times!!
    Marty Henry likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I'm trying to get my 12.7x44r to fire, takes a second cock of the hammer to ingnite the primer, large rifle, the firing pin is off centre, so tonight is going to be large pistol primers!!Ahh old firearms are an ass at times!!
    lol I've still got the 1848 Lovels Patern Carbine (NZ marked) to get up and running!!!!!!

Im going to get a hold of jeff later and suggest one other idea before we take barrel off and have a good look, Rod Woods i wish you were still here in chch!!!

Didn't work, bugger me, takes second cocking to fire, wall hanger or trademe I think!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Didn't work, bugger me, takes second cocking to fire, wall hanger or trademe I think!
    Is it BP only rifle @Maca49?
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

svartkrutt.net - Forside
    If it works, BP rifle
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Tertle View Post
    the brass goes in easy enough once slightly turned down but extracting is poor!!!!
    With a chamber that rough, it's not surprising. Good luck.