Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 1 Post By shooternz
  • 1 Post By HuntGatherRepeat

Thread: Any experienced reloading hands in the Taupo region keen to help out a newbie?

Any experienced reloading hands in the Taupo region keen to help out a newbie?

Hi

I have been a keen shooter for many years with a tendency to tinker. Last year ago I bought a .257 weatherby magnum that came with a 100 rounds some spare cases and dies second hand. I am keen to learn to reload and get all the gear to save on expensive ammo, re use and get the satisfaction of tinkering.

With the sea of info of questionable reliability out there I am keen to find someone nearby with experience in centre fire reloading to show me the ropes; pass on some do's and dont's and point me in the direction of what setup I should get for myself. I figure its better to learn from someone else's mistakes before you start making your own.

I am living and working at Tihoi and would be free most Sunday afternoons. If there are any generous folk out there keen to pass on some knowledge that would be much appreciated.

Ryan Malcolm

Caretaker
    I am 2 hrs south east of you in Hawkes Bay

If you are in the area at any stage I can show you how to reload that ammo, and draw up a detailed set of instructions to guide you for the long term.

You are welcome to Pm me if thats any help to you
    veitnamcam, tetawa, mikee and 1 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I am in Tokoroa if you want to pop in for a chat I have just moved so every thing is not set up yet but I am available most days happy to help out been handloading since 1970 so know a little bit about it.

Thanks for the swift replies

7mmsaum Thank you for the offer but I will try and find someone nearer as I don't head out that way often.

Shooternz
    how long will you need to get yourself settled in and setup? Could I call round and see you on the afternoon of Sunday the 28th Aug?

Get Nick Harveys Practical Reloading Guide for a start. It is what it says it is and if you follow a few basic rules it's not rocket science (well I guess it is sort of).
    Mark at Custom Cartridges in Taupo would be worth visiting too.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

In Turangi if that's any help. Won't say I'm extremely experienced but can certainly pass on a reasonable list of what not to do's

@Timmay - he's a great good bugger.
    Lives near Taupo too.
    PM him - I'm sure he'll be full of useful info for you.
    Cheers.

Hi Rinna,
    That would be ok, Text me on 021 02724412 or send PM I haven't got all my reloading gear set up yet but enough to show you how to get started with the basics
    tetawa likes this.

Hey mate, just saw this thread. I'm based in Taupo and happy to help out. Moving shops at the moment but should be all set up in the next week or so. PM me if you want to catch up.
    Timmay likes this.