Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By chainsaw
  • 1 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By Carpe Diem
  • 1 Post By Hunt4life
  • 3 Post By deer243

Thread: any one running Barnes pills in 7mm

any one running Barnes pills in 7mm

as it says - what pill, calibre and range are you using them on big game (reds), and how good or otherwise do you find them ?
    Thinking about running them in 7mm saum or rem mag for a bush load.
    What realistic range would you take them out to for clean kill ?

Hi can I ask why do you want to try those projectiles when there are so many tried and true ones already in use. Old fashioned sure but Nosler partitions have never ley me down, in the bush use the heavies 160 and 175gr or another all time game taker the Sierra Prohunter. I am not saying don't try the Barnes try what you want but if you have no experience with them maybe first try something that many others have had good experience with. I have used both in 7-08 140gr and 7mm Mag 160-175gr Both will work near and far they just knock them over. Have fun.

Aye. Already run partitions as my round of choice for 0-300 yards. They work very well.
    My interest in Barnes is the solid copper & no lead option ..... and cos I like experimenting and learning.
    Gibo, Shearer, 300AAC and 2 others like this.

I use 150 grn TTSX in 300 SAUM at 3150 and it just smashes them. Longest shot has been 300 yards and there was a hell of an exit so it expanded ok. Is not very often I shoot beyond 350 or so. But they are still going 1800 fps at about 650 so with me if I ever need to I would use them at 450-500 no problems. Would aim to hit a bit of bone though to ensure they expand.
    Danny likes this.

I used the 150's in 280ai and they were the goods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

100gr-X at 3800 ft/sec MV - effective. Somewhat less than 100gr at the muzzle though
    Last edited by Puffin; 27-04-2017 at 10:59 PM.

After hearing the 162 Amax had some issues with blow up at close range was on the hunt for a close range round that had a similar poi out to a couple of hundred.

The 140 Barnes TTSX was that one for me. Has never let me down yet.

So this sits first in the magazine then if I need to set up for longer range I just empty the tsx out and settle down with the Amax / eld where I have verified dope out to 700.

Rate them also in my 300 blk the 110 tsx-tacx ( or something like that) as being pretty accurate.
    Puffin likes this.

I should clarify; my previous post was as per the thread title - specifically 7mm calibre.

I've shot more reds with the 85gr Barnes-X in .257 than with any other bullet, and observed even at high impact speeds that the original 85gr-X, 90gr-XBT also in .257, and the 100gr-X in .264, have limitations and only use these for a hilar shot on undisturbed deer. The behaviour always seems to be the same: animals jump forward as if poked hard in the ribs with a stick, and then look around for the source for some 20 seconds or so. They then starts to feel poorly as lung performance tapers off and will run 20-30 metres or so, but not with any real conviction as they don't have anything specifically to run from. This is followed by collapse, thrashing, and unconciousness, all over in under a minute. Without the delivery of shock to the CNS these have never given me instant DRT, and if deer are aware of a source of danger prior to the shot they will as a minimum use that additional 20 seconds to run. If seriously on-edge, and a large animal for these calibres, they may get away. I can think of three incidences of stags roared up and shot with these bullets where this likely happened with complete lung pass-throughs, minimal blood trails, or trails that dried up over hundreds of metres.
    I would be selective then about using smaller calibre Barnes on reds and shots may need to be passed up if there is not the certainty of hitting bone. Other than in 7mm I don't have any experience with larger calibre Barnes X/TSX/TTSX, but expect they would be more universally effective.

We sell a heap of 140gr ttsx to guys driving them really hard. Always get great feedback on performance accuracy and knock down. Barnes Projectiles - Black Watch Reloading

GWH
    The 150 sgk or nbt work bloody well for me at close range from 7Saum and 284 win at around 3k from muzzle.

Have shot deer inside 30 yards with both, performed great

I'm yet to try the Barnes TTSX on Redskins, but have used on Sika stags and quite a lot of target shooting, testing loads in search of accuracy. The TTSX seems to be consistently accurate and mushrooms well above 2700fps.
    On Sika stags, while the TTSX 140gr did the business, I was surprised at how the animal seemed relatively unscathed and ran for 30 odd metres before collapsing. In contrast, was shooting Nosler 140gr BT and had instant knock down at both 120 and 335metres.
    I wanted the TTSX to outperform all other projectiles I've tried, but they just haven't.

Puffin likes this.

People get well carried away with what projectiles to use , esp when it comes to closer range shooting in the bush. many will work just fine, you dont need to go to something like a barnes projectile or anything fancy to get results. Straight softnose factory rounds will work great for bush work and short to mid range distances . In a 7mm many projectiles will do the business without a issue, the list is too long to post . Shot placement is always the key, and if its a bush round take your pick of dozens of projectiles that all will work well. Certain ones that are recommended for longer range may not perform as good otherwise dont overthink it.
    Many ask about whats the best round for a 243 for the bush as a example . I hear so many mentioned , often fancy expenisive ones but a good straight lead soft nose is the bomb! Fed powershoks work as good as anything on the market, dead is dead,. i know, been there, done that and still doing it
    Hunt4life, blake and duckdog like this.

^ exactly

Have tried 120gn TTSX in my 7mmRM (mv 3260FPS) but haven't got them shooting as well as the 150BTs so haven't fired any in anger at game yet. I doubt if you will have any problem with the Barnes killing things (especially in a SAUM or RM) as long as you can get them to shoot to your satisfaction.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.