Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: AR2217 and 162gn AMax 7mmRM recipe??

AR2217 and 162gn AMax 7mmRM recipe??

Any one out there using this combo? My favourite load was 72.5gn 2217 with norma brass and cci primer. But moving from a Sendero to the HS Precision the coal on this load meant the HS was pulling the bullets out from an unfired round! A pity as it put them into 1 ragged hole.

Really interested if anyone has a load they know the coal and jump for so I can get a feel for what others are doing...(noting each rifle is different).

My load for the 7mm mag was almost the same. Same powder different primer and brass. Never measured the length of the round, had them sitting just off the lands using the old seat and chamber and re-seat until no rifling marks seen.

Cheera Stu...my col in the Sendero was 86.5mm...had to go back to 83.5mm to fit the HS just off the lands.... going to redo col and look at that...

Got it working again at 3150fps too.

Just home from a Long Range course (previously not shot past 250 yards I think). Day 1 hitting at a 1000yards. Day 2 shot a 4 inch group at 1000 yards. Today hitting target at 1100 yards. Learnt a lot and very satisfying.

Now thinking about a LR build in 260AI!
    Carpe Diem likes this.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    Just home from a Long Range course (previously not shot past 250 yards I think). Day 1 hitting at a 1000yards. Day 2 shot a 4 inch group at 1000 yards. Today hitting target at 1100 yards. Learnt a lot and very satisfying.

Why when your 7mm rem mag is doing so well?
    Shearer likes this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

It would be nice to have a 'puff' rifle that makes little noise and sits on the target after firing so you see the hits.

What course? Sounds interesting

was up in Ward...one coming up in Kurow. Organised by Dave Buick - great hospitality, instruction and course.

It would be nice to have a 'puff' rifle that makes little noise and sits on the target after firing so you see the hits.
    Harden up. You have one of the best calibres/loads in the business for shooting deer now.
    7mmsaum, Blaser and BRADS like this.

LOL. Let's go hunting.

Less of a recoil and still able to get legs out there in my T3 lite. I'm running a Hardy Gen iV can on this load, but something I don't mind sharing and fit the projectile to fit a COAL that sits in the magazine but which is slightly over the SAMI recommended length.

IMR 7828 (62.9 gr but is happy with it up to 63.1 with little difference in group size) runs at just on 2900 with a A-max 162gr and a real good average speed helped a bit I'm sure by the can (variance no more or less than 10fps.) I'm using Winchester magnum primers which I've had good results with.

This is a nice easy load and ticks all the boxes apart from very long range stuff but I think I've found a nice accurate sweet spot here. I only shoot usually out to 600-700 max with my 6-20 glass, and its really just to be sure I can ethically kill at distances less than that confidently - even though the A-max and load is probably capable of doing it a fair way further out - I live in awe of Nathan Fosters vid's but I'm certainly not there yet... But this load is nice for me and feels just the same as my 223 without a can so I'm comfortable I'm minimising my bad habbits by shooting both.

Thats one thing I'd suggest Tikka 7mm08 is that due to the 7mm warming up too quickly and changing the POI - I practice at the range mainly with a 223 and due to having similar ballistic characteristics have found that really useful in gaining good transferable trigger time.

Just a couple of thoughts, use or bin at your discretion...

Yep...I alternate with 223 and 7mm08 when using the 7mmRM. With the DPT suppressor it does heat up a bit. I used a sunshade on the mk4 8.5-25 and that helped...as did the extra magnification.

Yep...I alternate with 223 and 7mm08 when using the 7mmRM. With the DPT suppressor it does heat up a bit. I used a sunshade on the mk4 8.5-25 and that helped...as did the extra magnification.
    I'll take a few shots tonight showing a recent POI walking for some of the boys on here to take a gander at. i got a bit time pressed, and had to shoot a couple of groups and different projectiles quite quickly before range closed. Quite uniform and 10-11 O'clock irrespective of load. Guess you're significantly better than this due to you having a nice Sendero barrel as a heat sink rater than my thin little frypan. I'm definitely going to at least a #5 Contour barrel when i re-barrel this action.

Can't beat having a 223 paired for trigger time with a 7RM. Did you get much mirage in your scope from the can? I get POI move either on or after the 3rd shot depending how much I've let it cool from the previous group firing (baseline temp), and significant Mirage on the 4th. Without a sunshade, but considering it has big can on the end i wouldn't have thought that it would make a difference. I'm Interested now? I know the Neoprene cover is good for the first few shots in minimising mirage then all it does is keep the barrel warm after that.

i Did used to take the supressor off between shots and blow down both the barrel and supressor, but seems to have F/A effect (but made me feel better that i was doing something to cool things down) - but did seem to change the POI before i got the can re-reamed. Now sweet as irrespective... We joked a few weeks ago about getting a can of compressed gas to blow down the barrel - Anybody do this? to chill back down.

My barrel/gun is a fluted HSP SPL...so not a thick barrel like the Sendero. Cans definitely heat things up and sit higher than the barrel so may be increase mirage. It got bloody hot but mirage seemed less an issue with the shade on...neoprene makes little difference on my 7mm08.