Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Barnaul

Barnaul

Hi guys just wondering what some 3006 Barnaul brass would be like for reloading anyone used them ? , thought I mite buy 100 rounds use & reload.
    cheers.

It's probably steel cased berdan primed

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    It's probably steel cased berdan primed
    Definitely steel cased. Last lot I got was brass plated onto steel. Shoots well but I wouldnt bother trying to reload it....

Thanks for that guys im going to get some there a very good price 180 , rounds for $195 mite get 50/50 223 & 3006 see how they shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Thanks for that guys im going to get some there a very good price 180 , rounds for $195 mite get 50/50 223 & 3006 see how they shoot.
    Tried the 308 and 7,62x 39 SP. My rifles didn't like them. 4-5" at 100 The 308 left a lot of gunk in the barrel.
    tiroatedson likes this.

The 304 140gr works really well in my brothers 308 and same in mne, the 30/06 works well in my one too, but I never had any luck with the 223. Not Barnauls fault though, my twist is 1:12 and it wont shoot anything over 52gr well. If I stay under that it is fantastic....but Barnaul makes 55 and 62 gr so not for me in 223...

I flew over Barnaul a few months back.
    Now you know its not just shitty ammo,there is likely a shitty City there too!
    stumpy likes this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Known for corrosive ammunition so much so that some shops refuse warranty if a rifle is used with the ammunition in question. If I were you I'd contact Belmont ammunition as their real good sorts and you avoid said corrosive ammunition
    Steve123 likes this.

Barnaul is not a "corrosive " ammunition it is more of a budget / milsurp ammo , the projectiles are of a harder type of metal which dose cause the barrel to wear faster . But can have the compensation of ,sometimes , paying for the new barrel with the savings .

Quote Originally Posted by Tankd View Post
    Barnaul is not a "corrosive " ammunition it is more of a budget / milsurp ammo , the projectiles are of a harder type of metal which dose cause the barrel to wear faster . But can have the compensation of ,sometimes , paying for the new barrel with the savings .
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    Known for corrosive ammunition so much so that some shops refuse warranty if a rifle is used with the ammunition in question. If I were you I'd contact Belmont ammunition as their real good sorts and you avoid said corrosive ammunition
    I think you both may want to dig a bit deeper. I use Barnaul myself and looked in depth at the product including taking some apart for projectiles. (wanted 180gr SP on a 7.62x39 case for a single shot rifle)

The cases are steel and coated. I think from memory they are burdan primed so difficult to reload on both counts. Non corrosive powder is used. It is not Mil surp though with the steel case I can understand being associated with it. It is proper sporting ammunition.

My understanding is they use a different alloy on the core for the bullets rather than lead and they still have a copper jacket, though they are able to make the jacket thinner as the core is more stable at high temperature than lead is. This has not seemed to affect my accuracy or reliability on impact. As for harder wear, well in all rifles I have ever owned, generally the core of any projectile does not come into contact with the barrel and the copper coating on the jacket is still on the bullet when I have retrieved them out of game so you should have no problem. I have put over 400 rounds through my 30/06 and it shoots as well as it ever has.......

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    My understanding is they use a different alloy on the core for the bullets rather than lead and they still have a copper jacket
    I believe the alloy you are referring to is Tombac.

It's definitely corrosive. And as such your barrel needs the cleaning regime to go with it.

Pertaining to their projectiles, their a bi metal projectile so be careful. Any rifle that's for sale with a pack of it next to it I generally pass up as not correctly cleaned its barrel will be highly likely to be fucked

It is not corrosive.

Nah not corrosive, the 7.62x39 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    It's definitely corrosive. And as such your barrel needs the cleaning regime to go with it.

Pertaining to their projectiles, their a bi metal projectile so be careful. Any rifle that's for sale with a pack of it next to it I generally pass up as not correctly cleaned its barrel will be highly likely to be fucked
    It is definitely NOT corrosive. It is clearly stated in english on the box. It is Not Military Surplus. It is modern ammunition with modern propellants and primers. You dont have to use it if you dont want to, and you are fully allowed to be mis informed. But rather than garner info from the internet, we have dealt with russian ammo suppliers and know from experience that it is definitely NOT corrosive.

But I figure you read it somewhere on the net so it has to be true. At a quick guess, it would be a USA site that would consider it unpatriotic to acknowledge russians know how to make proper primers.. after all they have only been making guns for 300 years (T.O Z started making fire arms in 1712)
    Last edited by timattalon; 30-09-2016 at 10:38 PM.