Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Beam scales vs Electronic

Beam scales vs Electronic

Ok, well I am slowly re-grouping my new reloading kit together. ( digital calipers this week ) .
    Just after thoughts on the classic beam scale vs the small electronic scales you can get through Hornaday , Frankfort arsenal etc.
    The electronic look good, small, accurate and take up next to no space.
    As much as I would love an RCBS chargemaster or something akin it's not going to happen.

In fact I thought I might set myself a challenge of seeing how cheaply I can put a basic reloading kit together and post the results later as not everyone has alot of coin laying about to buy a high end kit but just wants to get started.

I got a little Lyman and it works great. I also have a hornady beam scale and check the digi for accuracy one or two loads per run. Its spot on
    Gunsmithing &Reloading Tools - Lyman Pro-Touch 1500 Professional Desk Top Scale, Scales

I did score the Hornady beam scales of here for $50 too, pretty much brand new

I have a second hand Lyman (really Ohaus) beam scale and a little Hornady electronic. I zero both each time I use them and find that they pretty much agree. Beam scale is better for trickling, electronic is quicker. For both you want to think about placement- drafts, vibration, make a difference

northdude
    The digi ones are a pain in the arse when they automatically turn off half way through measuring a charge I went back to beam ones
    Beetroot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    The digi ones are a pain in the arse when they automatically turn off half way through measuring a charge I went back to beam ones
    That just sounds like shit digis. They need to be on AC power not battery too

northdude
    Just the normal hornady ones

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Just the normal hornady ones
    Yeah the $60 ones are pooh, battery run and yeah cut out.

I use lyman beam scale, for me I can load 50 or so in a stint. It's not fast but loads are all consistant when shot over chrono and generally through a ragged hole if that's what I'm up to for the day.
    What ever you do keeping it all uniform/ consistant is the key ( in my rank amture opinion)

ebf
    do some research about strain gauge (most common electronic scales) and force restoration.

sit down when you look at the prices of force restoration balances...

if you can get an older model rcbs beam (especially ones labelled ohaus) you will have a solid reloading scale. 505 and 1010 are the numbers to look for.

all scales (electronic and beam) require careful setup, levelling etc.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

i use gempro 250 digitals, plug in the wall. Bloody good I reckon

DO not use just the electronic $70 scales. I had a set and over 6months they started to read lower and lower, end result I found I was putting 47gr of 2208 through my no4 and it stretched it. Get a beam scale, Lee is fine.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Have the lee scales and they are ok... Haven't used anything else but contemplating going electric, find that I have to crouch down to see the scales at right angle to get it perfect and feel I can get more accurate with electric. Anyone got advice other than the above on this thread?

Not wanting to spend a fortune... Only loading 200ish rounds a year. Just brought a powder trickler so that should speed things up a bit. Building a reloading bench so thought it's would be the time to get new scales

i ended up getting a set of Hornady beam scales. Seem good, just doing load development now, was going to shoot groups this weekend but weather not playing ball.

northdude
    I had electronic but have gone to beam elecectronic were a pain in the arse when they'd turn off half way through measuring out a charge just set them up higher