Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 257weatherby

Thread: Berger 270 projectiles

Berger 270 projectiles

Hi all
    Looking into Reloading some Bergers in my 270 Winchester any comments or suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks
    6mm

Secant ogive? if so in Berger's own words (I think) they can be extremely picky on jump.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

sneakywaza I got
    Bergers are really good at fast killing near or far, running the 140 VLD in a .270, the 115 in a .257 and the 180 in a 7mm Mag, load them for my mates in other calibres (converted some doubters with results in the field!) they are easy to find an accurate load for- in several calibres and weights I have been able to find working loads around and under half inch, good bc's and not stupid pricey like "premium" bullets.

Thx 257, I was thing of the 140s what I read about them in General they are very good at expending most if not all the energy in the game, what is your experience on this as far as penetration on angled shoots,wound channel.
    Thx 6mm

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by 6mm ackley View Post
    Thx 257, I was thing of the 140s what I read about them in General they are very good at expending most if not all the energy in the game, what is your experience on this as far as penetration on angled shoots,wound channel.
    Thx 6mm
    With my .270 I have the 140 VLD running at 2900fps, in a six pound rifle that is plenty fast enough (recoil!) as the Berger doesn't need warp factor 9 to work and it is a half inch rifle. Entry wound is always very tiny and has to be looked for, the bullet disintergrates after it has gone through onside muscle and/or bone and give outstanding internal damage and often a decent exit as the remaining bits of jacket and core bust out, the only shot angle I will not take with it is the 'Texas heart shot".

On both light and heavy animals at close range (40m) and long range (400m) the result has been the same, have never had to put my Rambo bandana on and "track the blood trail"- put the bullet in the chest and down it goes. Was a TTSX fan, but the Berger has proved itself for me.
    Gibo likes this.

Great thanks for the info
    Cheers
    6mm