Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Brass indexing... Does anyone admit to doing this?

Good way to get super accurate brass is annealing and use only expander mandrel for doing your necks.

Better still, don't use an expander mandrel at all.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post

Kirby's comment on the Redding dies is also true - the bushing ones (but without the inline sleeve) won't necessarily produce better concentricity as the case is still unsupported. Yesterday I tried everything to improve this in once fired Lapua cases using a Type-S die but am still introducing 0.003" into perfectly concentric fired cases, and I'm only trying to size the diameter down by 0.006" ! Getting to the point now where any OCD sufferer advice will be given serious consideration.
    I use the Redding Type-S dies and Lapua cases. I've found that the Forster Co-Ax press I bought a few years back helps with concentricity. Also, by neck sizing in two stages with different sized bushings helps. By that I mean the first sizing is done with a bushing to reduce the neck size to half of what is required and then finishing with the correct sized bushing. If you had a rifle with a fairly tight neck chamber this method probably would be of no benefit.

Have found the Wilson neck bushings, which can be used in the Redding Type-S dies, produce less run-out than the Redding equivalents.