Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By greghud

Thread: calling all experts

calling all experts

i have been having a bit of a problem with my 270.

gun 270 marlin fitted with a dan can
    brass once fired factory federal fired in this gun all trimmed to the same overall lenght
    dies lyman full lenght sizing die

problem

i can chamber a fired case and the bolt is not sticky or hard to close. i then run it through the full lenght sizeing die and chamber the case and i have a hard to close bolt and sticky bolt lift. i also find that it is quight hard to run brass through the die espichally the last quater of the lenght of the case. i use lyman case lube on a lube pad. so what i want to know is what am i doing wrong to cause this problem.

thanks woompha

Case length checked after sizing? Do you anneal the cases?

you are not lubing the inside of the neck, this causes the shoulder to pull forward as you drag the expander ball back thru the neck. after you have full length resized. it streches the case and makes it too long for the chamber.
    greg
    veitnamcam likes this.

Re: calling all experts

Assuming your die is set right what Greg said.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

thanks maca49 no have not checked lenght after sizing and no i dont annel the cases

thanks greghud for got to say yes i do lube inside of case necks but maybe not enough but that dose not explan way it is hard to run the case all way up in sizing die when the case neck has allready passed the expander ball.

thanks veitnamcam iam pritty shure that i have got die set right thanks for the sugestion

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

calling all experts

Not an answer to your question but why are you FL sizing if the case chambers? If you have a neck die I'd be only sizing the neck. If you don't go but a Lee collet one. Cheap and no lube required with low run-out. FL sizing brings a while lot of new problems if done wrong.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

calling all experts

The last 1/4 of a FL is typically tighter as you start sizing the base so I don't see a problem there. Try Imperial sizing wax rather than the Lyman stuff. Cures a lot of ills. I also don't like lube in a neck but you can buy graphite powder for nix at a Mega store type place. I have mine in a little pottle with about 1/2 the shot from a 20g #8 cartridge. Just dip the neck in before sizing. All good.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

there are three main causes, Greyhud has one mentioned

Most common is setting up your FL die to touch the shell holder then not winding it down further to counteract press stretch, fix+ wind the die down further.

then there in the extractor pin/ expander ball rod is set to low stopping the case going to the shell holder fully

When FL sizing the case gets squashed in on the sides pushing the shoulder forward...the shoulder gets bumped back at the end of the stroke so that is the part that needs to be set right....

If plenty of lube on the neck and the center rod is not too low just wind the die down 1/8 at a time until the bolt closes with no friction or just the slightest bit of friction

Oh and the other thing to check....you pill is not to far out is it so it is jamming in the lands?
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

R93
    +1 to all of the above.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Re: calling all experts

Is your shell holder the same brand as your FL die?

Using TT2 on my mobele

I had a similar problem when I started hand-loading last year, and it turns out I was short-stroking with my FL die. Solution: What leathel said, with the shell holder at max height screw the die in then move the shellholder out of the way and give the FL die a 1/4 turn further into the press . That fixed my problem.

Good luck

thanks everbody for the ideas.now to go out to the bench and see wich one is causing the problem