Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Comparators and other Measures

It's become obvious I need to be able to accurately and consistently measure the C.O.A.L. to get correct seating depth.
    Anyone have any tips on doing this, and the "best" tool to do so. I've seen a few different types about the Web, and I guess it's not all rocket science, but I do want to start on the right footing. Cheers.
    Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what happened.

Squashed like a Flea
    G'Day Merc,

As you mentioned, there are a number of different comparators available.
    In the past, I had one of the Top Rated Supplier of Firearm Reloading Equipment, Supplies, and Tools - Sinclair Intl Hex Style (part # 09-600) comparators and this works fine for checking, both bullets and also loaded ammo!
    For this these Hex Style comparators (two now available, for most calibers from .17 to .338, 09-6000 & 09-7000), work just fine but you will need a Vernier Caliper to measure with!!!

Last year (2011), I was looking to get into a bit more accurate (here's hoping!) long range (500M and 1000Yard) BR shooting.
    So I purchased the Sinclair Int'l Part # 59-2000 bullet sorting stand, with all the available caliber comparators to suit.
    This tool is actually used for quickly checking bullets only (not loaded ammo) from a box to sort into batches, prior to loading up.

Hope that helps

Doh!
    Homer

Yep, thanks Homer. I have bought stuff via Sinclairs before and have their current catalogue to browse. I've wondered about the accuracy of some tools, so I'll have to do a bit more lookin'. When I decide which other stuff I will get, I'll put together an order, or possibly get it here if available. Cheers.
    Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what happened.

Does anyone know if you can get the Hex style comparators in NZ?