Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Day at the range

Personally I had too much SD with 2213sc in the 270win with 130 projectiles for the little gain in speed it achieved.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Quote Originally Posted by puku View Post
    Personally I had too much SD with 2213sc in the 270win with 130 projectiles for the little gain in speed it achieved.

Looking at my bit of paper that has all the velocities written down the highest difference in the velocities I had was 11FPS and the lowest was 1fps so that is actually pretty darn good as far as I am concerned.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    Looking at my bit of paper that has all the velocities written down the highest difference in the velocities I had was 11FPS and the lowest was 1fps so that is actually pretty darn good as far as I am concerned.
    Is that with 2213sc? That's pretty good alright.

Rule 5: Check your firing zone

2209 I think K.

I loaded for a .270 once. We ordered 2213sc but Guncity sent 2209 so we just used a 2209 load. iirc there was fuck all variation between speeds over 5 shots. Seemed pretty consistent.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I loaded for a .270 once. We ordered 2213sc but Guncity sent 2209 so we just used a 2209 load. iirc there was fuck all variation between speeds over 5 shots. Seemed pretty consistent.
    I use it. All good for me. .18MOA at a hundy .4MOA at 500

Quote Originally Posted by puku View Post
    Is that with 2213sc? That's pretty good alright.

I have been using hodgdon 4350 (2209) I was going to use 2213sc but a couple of members on here recommended I try the 2209 first I might try a few of my 53.5 grain loads with bullet seated a couple of thou deeper as when I seat them out longer the accuracy goes up the shit.

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    I use it. All good for me. .18MOA at a hundy .4MOA at 500
    Can a 270 go that far?

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Can a 270 go that far?
    Just
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    Finally found a better load for the sierra gameking bullets I did some more testing while at muckos place I wanted to try out 55-56 grains of 2209 with 56 grains being max charge in the speer manual did not get any acceptable accuracy but did get some chrony readings my initial 53.5 grain load for the sierras got me 1" at 100 meters unfortunately the batteries on the chrony got a bit low and did not take the velocities of the 53.5 grain load which I was a bit dissapointed but at least this will be a slightly harder hitting round than my original load with the hornady bullets so for the accuracy I am getting at 1" at 100 meters I might leave it there and call that the load my rifle likes for this bullet combo.

The brew
    RP brass
    federal210/CCI200 primer
    53.5grains of 2209
    130 grain Sierra Gameking
    cartridge overall length 3.260"
    24 inch barrel

The loads that did get recorded are below
    56 grains (max load in speer manual) = 3050 fps
    55.5 grains = 2974 fps
    55.0 grains = 2950 fps
    Why the mix of primers? Stick with one type, otherwise its a variable that changes everything.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Why the mix of primers? Stick with one type, otherwise its a variable that changes everything.
    The cci ones are what I am going over to @dogmatix as vern wilson down the road from me has CCI one of the resons being that I have had trouble getting federal primers and the only place that has them in hamilton is H&F with the guy here I can give the missus the money and send her down the road while I am at work to get me my primers when I need them the initial test I did a couple of weeks ago with that brew used federal my second test of that brew had CCI so I guess I was lucky that it did not alter anything for me

I did some revisiting of my load development while at mucko's place the evening before the gong shoot. I decided to continue using the 130 grain hornady flat base soft point. The changes I made were get rid of the lee dies and changed to RCBS dies which gave me a much more noticeable neck tension while seating bullets, seated the bullets deeper into the case 3.280" down to 3.180" which put the edge of case neck level with the top of the cannelure on the bullet changed brass to winchester. Still using AR2209 (H4350)

I retried the charges 53.5, 54.0, 54.5 and 55.0 grains with much more pleasing results with the 54.0 grain charge being the most disappointing. Please note this lot were tested in strong wind conditions
    Name:  20150208_195207[1].jpg
Views: 243
Size:  573.8 KB

Will be retesting 54.5 and 55.0 grain charges to see if that is definitely the load for my rifle
    Danny likes this.

@hunter308,
    Do you still need Federal Large Rifle primers? I have some but not the "gold Medal Match".
    Drop me a PM if you want it.

Cheers!

No I am all good thanks mate been sticking to the CCI200's and been getting much better results, thanks for the offer though. The local locksmith in Te Awamutu has federal 210 in stock but I by passed them and went straight for the CCI's

If you haven't already try holding the fore end of the stock when shooting groups. Might tighten your groups up.
    kiwijames likes this.