Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Decapping unfired primers

Decapping unfired primers

Can this be done safely ?

I just use a firing pin for mine
    llewelyn and Manu like this.

Worse I hate is when you've pushed a primer in backwards. ooops, there goes a case in the hedge.
    Smiddy likes this.

57JL
    i just put them back in the press and deprime them never had one go off yet touch wood just make sure you don,t stand over the press and do it gently and make sure you wear safety glasses

R93
    I don't know how but I have never in all the years I have been reloading put a primer in backwards or had a problem decapping live ones. I have decapped a fair few live ones, recovered them and reused them. (mainly pistol ammo)

I have had a primer that wasn't seated properly that almost jammed up my press. I never gave it a thought when I grabbed some needle nose pliers to remove the primer from the case.
    It looked liked it wouldn't take much to remove it and with a click of the pliers as they slipped off the primer it went of in my hands.

Like an idiot I didn't have safety glasses on and had bits of stuff hit all around my face and eyes.
    I now wear the bastards whenever I am at my bench.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    40mm likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 57jl View Post
    i just put them back in the press and deprime them never had one go off yet touch wood just make sure you don,t stand over the press and do it gently and make sure you wear safety glasses
    And ear defenders they are quite loud, It is safe to deprime live primers they need a fast hard strike with a pointed object to go off, pushing them out with a press and decaping pin is not going to cut it,
    Why do you want to deprime the cases anyway?
    llewelyn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I don't know how but I have never in all the years I have been reloading put a primer in backwards or had a problem decapping live ones. I have decapped a fair few live ones, recovered them and reused them. (mainly pistol ammo)

I have had a primer that wasn't seated properly that almost jammed up my press. I never gave it a thought when I grabbed some needle nose pliers to remove the primer from the case.
    It looked liked it wouldn't take much to remove it and with a click of the pliers as they slipped off the primer it went of in my hands.

Like an idiot I didn't have safety glasses on and had bits of stuff hit all around my face and eyes.
    I now wear the bastards whenever I am at my bench.

That explains a few things.......
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Why do you want to deprime and if really required, can you shoot it off first? Hopefully you wouldn't be reusing the primer anyway...
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Oh and in answer to your first post, I personally think the risk outweighs any benefit.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    That explains a few things.......
    I was gunna post a disclaimer that my appearence has nothing to do with the incident. Actually had you in mind. But thought na......the very next fucking post. Well done sir

Beaker likes this.

Ive decapped a few, like R93 says just do it slow and careful.

Only primers I have ever had go off was on an RCBS green machine, and on a Dillon 1050, both times doing pistol cases, both times reloading, not depriming.
    "soft" federal primers and some grit was one issue the other one was real weird .... the base of the primer seperated from the cup walls leaving a "ring" in the primer pocket. So when the new one went in it detonated.

Sure gets your attention! Must say the Dillon experience was nicer than the green machine. On the RCBS shit flew everywhere! and I staggered out of the reloading room with my ears ringing. With the Dillon things were a lot more contained and was more of an " oh thats interesting?" situation.
    Beaker and llewelyn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I was gunna post a disclaimer that my appearence has nothing to do with the incident. Actually had you in mind. But thought na......the very next fucking post. Well done sir

You thought well madam...
    R93 likes this.

R93
    Forgot to mention that the primer was a fed small pistol.

I usually use cci Sr primers for all my pistol ammo.

Lightened the springs in a revolver and had a few hundred rounds loaded with the cci.

1:3 would fire with the cci. Had to reload the whole batch with fed small pistol. Fixed the issue and all the reused cci primers worked perfectly in another pistol.

res
    Have done thousands with no issues, I do make sure I have eye and ear protection on while doing it just in case. If the primers are crimped in I have taken a knife to the crimps first just in case- not sure if it's a needed step though.

Have 2000 .303 cases waiting to have it done one day when I have that mythical free time
    Using Tapatalk

If you can fit them without them going off then I see no reason why the reverse shouldn't apply. I guess the pin does concentrate the decapping force right where the anvil makes contact with the cup. Nevertheless I also have never had one go off this way, and agree with the others that it seems to be all about impact speed.
    shooternz likes this.