Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's ya favourite die brand

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Redding

23 28.05%
  • RCBS

10 12.20%
  • Forster

12 14.63%
  • Lee

14 17.07%
  • Hornady

19 23.17%
  • Lyman

0 0%
  • L E Wilson

3 3.66%
  • Other

1 1.22%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Dies- Your favourite flavour

northdude
    my basic old lee loader makes just as accurate ammo as my hornady and lee and redding dies so cant really vote
    Three O'Three likes this.

Redding and Forster my favs

Best value - Lee Ultimate.
    Best - Redding competition bushing.

I've used a few. Lee classic made good ammo, but limted and the need to F/L size means you need another method eventually. ( press and die )
    Wlson in line, nice good close fitting well machined parts, same applies to as the lee ... eventually need to use a press to size back down.

Lee RGB dies made good ammo and still have to help out a mate and was used to FL size when needed.

Forster Ultra style micro die , good price for that style of die compared to Redding. Although recently gone up price wise.

Lyman, RCBS, Hornady custom. IMHO not worth the upgrade from Lee.

Redding bushing style ... jury still out, like the bump die ( body die ) Using a standard seater die (A series ) with vld stems and micro adjuster. which is less cost wise than the competition dies, but still handy to play with seating depths.

I would like to try the new Wilson sizing dies that take a bushing and fit a standard press. i would also like to try Whidden reloading dies. So they are on a wish list.

Out of it all i would have to say LEE gives best bang for buck, but sometimes I / we like shiny stuff.

My out right favourite though would have to be the Forsters, good design and price point for higher end dies.

As far as lock rings go, Hornadies are great. Lees the worst

Hard to beat RCBS and Redding but I have Lee , Hornady, Lyman and they all work well.

Used to swear by several sets of Redding Comp and a couple of Forster BR seaters covering 7 different cartridges. For seating mostly converted to Wilson in line now - less runout than either Redding Comp or Forster BR seaters. Still using Redding Body dies. CH4D for my 32/20 (great die maker for oddballs). Also have 3 sets of Lyman M dies which are great for loading cast and flat base projectiles.

Developed a real liking Lee collet dies after trying them in 223.
    Recently introduced to Titan Reloading by @P38 so will try a few more Lee collet dies in the future.

As far as value - nothing about reloading really relates to value. Just different degrees of expenditure depending upon your choice of brand.

Used to also be a great fan of Fosters when resident in Oz
    Last edited by zimmer; 22-03-2017 at 07:14 PM.

The best dies in the world are only assisted by annealing and putting clean brass into them.Run Redding out of preference.