Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Took us for a hack down rd in Supra - gave me a Anorak
    Fella from Knightsports was crazy! tapped out by Narita Airport in supercharged RX8

Wicked. That Supra got him arrested in England I think.

Damn Spanners, thats awesome. I am supposed to be going to sema Next year for work. TAS would be awesome. Do you still own a shop?

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Nope - best thing I ever did getting out of the game - build the odd motor and do a bit of tuning on the side still.

Made good money, but I make a shitload more and only wk 6 months a year now.

I see. I only ask as I am in Parts, selling oil now, but been in it for a few years.

Back to bullets, what's the sample size we're talking about here with noticing the projectiles "not performing like they used to"

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Back to bullets, what's the sample size we're talking about here with noticing the projectiles "not performing like they used to"
    ive noticed it the last few times ive been out so mybe the last 10 rounds ive fired in anger. i will say that thay have been at pigs and not deer but a feed for the famlys a feed

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    Any alloy will harden with age at room temp, especially if it has any traces of copper, magnesium zinc or IIRC silicon - there may be more elements.

Mag wheels, race flywheels etc - the billets are left out in the weather for years before being machined.
    I have a photo somewhere where I was at a top Japanese racecar workshop, and out the back they would have had 500 billets sitting in the weather aging - been there for 5 years
    My understanding through limited japanese/chinglish communication that it was for stress relief and hardening.

Copper and brass thats left for a long time will anneal very slowly at room temp, add heat and the process is sped up.
    Consider brass cases, in which get harder when fired and requires heat (annealing) to bring them back to required neck tension etc - but you're adding heat when firing each time which should make them softer...... but the working of the brass make is harder - moreso than the effect of the heat softening

As you can see, the above statements contradict each other somewhat.
    I dont know/remember much more technically about it - I'm sure there is heaps of info on the net about age hardening of alloys

I have spoken with someone that agreed with your findings of a box of bulk projectiles that had sat on the window ledge in the shed for years.
    Over time they shot worse and performed worse on animals - as if they were harder.
    How old are the projs? maybe the deer are evolving and getting softer??
    Alot of Italian gun houses will leave barrel steel outside for 12 months for the very same reasons......stress relief.