Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: ELD-Match for hunting?

I pused them at 2990 from win mag they are good but not exceptional killers, especially at distance
    Rwt, 300AAC and 300_BLK like this.

I pushed them at 2990 from win mag they are good but not exceptional killers, especially at distance

Name:  IMG_0532.JPG
Views: 2139
Size:  442.8 KB
    Warm Barrels!

Rwt
    Quote Originally Posted by Pongo12 View Post
    I pused them at 2990 from win mag they are good but not exceptional killers, especially at distance
    Ever try the 225 ELD-M?

Quote Originally Posted by Rwt View Post
    Ever try the 225 ELD-M?
    I haven't yet but will try soonish.

Hello there, has been a while.
    I have a photo of the damage from the ELD-M of a neck shot on a yearling hind at 80 meters that i want to share but not 100% sure if everyone is "OK" with gruesome… Just let me know and i will post it.
    "Dead" on the spot again…

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Pretty sure going by this thread Mac is using just that and provided the evidence

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...-stoked-29055/
    L.T likes this.

L.T
    I have shot a couple more animals with the 225s. Not convinced, I shot a spiker at 135 yards. The shot is right in the boiler room, the animal managed to run over 200 yards, uphill, over a sheep fence. Not much fun trying to find it in the dark when it's absolutely bucketing down with rain.
    A chamois may have got away also.
    Hopefully a few more animals will isolate whether it's the projectile or not.
    Exit wound was tennis ball sized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name:  59C8B824-E32E-4B8E-8F44-9923C53C571B.jpeg
Views: 2057
Size:  3.26 MB
    A wider view of the wound, notice it was a front on neck shot at about 80 meters

Name:  84080604-8522-4C93-A499-4C97EEBCEF39.jpeg
Views: 2289
Size:  2.61 MB
    A close look

Name:  ABDF8D1F-216C-4E29-925C-C52C4D1FF923.jpeg
Views: 2159
Size:  2.88 MB
    A view after cut the skin on the entrance side.

Very sorry for the “carnage”
    Boaraxa likes this.

178 eld m working good for me, 3 wild sheep and 2 spikers, all around 100m and all bang flop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PERRISCICABA likes this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Only one kill so far with 300 Win Mag at 50 yards on a 100kg sambar stag died right there, base of neck into chest shot. Was a 178 gr ELD X at close on 3000 fps.

Lol needless to say the 285s in 338 kill very well. Bang flops out to 700 so far

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    EK9132 likes this.

I've been thinking about the ELDM's too (particularly the 7mm 180grainer). I found a thread where Nathan Foster was quoted & thought others might be interested.
    http://www.rokslide.com/forums/firea...et-review.html

"By now, many of you will be aware of Hornady’s new 7mm 180gr ELD-M. It’s the A-MAX that many of us waited several years for. Lately I have been using this bullet in the 7mm Rem Mag and 7mm Practical. Please take note that this bullet can develop higher pressures than the Berger VLD. You’ll get the velocities but you need to drop powder charges when starting out. If you are switching from a 160-162 grain bullet to the 180 grain, go down at least 6 grains, not simply 2 grains (based on 1 grain per 10 grains bullet as is common in the manuals and proves safe when using start loads). Start way down low, then come up. You may find that the sweet spot is 4.5 grains lower than where it was when you were using a 162 grain pill.

It is also important to understand that being such a long bullet, the tip (rather than the ogive) may contact the button of the seating stem within your seating die. If the button touches the bullet tip rather than the ogive, it will play merry hell with concentricity during seating and you will see fliers downrange. If you have such issues that need to be remedied, the options are to contact your die maker and ask for a stem suitable for match style bullets or failing this, you may need to have your existing stem altered (drilled) by a gunsmith.

The 180 grain ELD-M is a hard hitting pill. All I can say about its performance is wow. That should be enough for most of you. It meets and exceeds all of my expectations as predicted in the Cartridges book second edition which was released just before this bullet became publicly available. It does however need a good deal of magazine space, boasting max OAL’s of around 88.3mm (3.476”) in the Rem Mag (and therefore .280 Rem and AI) and up to 93mm when using the Manson Reamer Practical (3.661”), leaving around 1mm or 40 thou for smooth feeding (and a wee bit of room for throat wear) when using the M700 and factory box magazine (non-detachable). I can tell you that it took a good deal of back and forth to ensure that the Manson fixed throat reamer would suit the new ELD-M prior to actually being able to handle and measure the new pills. Fortunately, we nailed the throat design. The ELD-M has to my way of thinking optimized the Practical. A gentle stroke of the trigger results in a horrendous thump followed by two sets of hooves pointing straight up in the air. It doesn’t get any better than this.

I suggest that you do not chase every ounce of velocity with this pill. If velocities are down by 50fps from where you hoped they would be, then leave well enough alone. If your Rem Mag yields 2800fps, so be it. If your Practical yields 3000fps, so be it. This bullet will still deliver the goods and boy oh boy does it cheat the wind, putting a lot of other combos to shame. Dave Emary and his team at Hornady really have made an outstanding bullet.

As for the G1 BC, I suggest trying the following (as per Hornady’s basic predictions):

2500fps and above = .777

2230fps to 2500fps = .748

1400fps to 2230fps = .731

You will need to tweak these to suit your individual rifle and twist rate but so far, these BC’s appear to be close to Hornady’s predictions and as a basic guide to the 9.25 (factory rifles) and 9 twist magnums. Those who wish to shoot to extreme ranges will want to drop another .3 at 1500fps. If you do not have a ballistics calculator that allows for multiple BC’s, I would suggest setting the G1 BC to .750 (the 8 twist rifles average out at a BC of around .810). This will put you slightly high when shooting at around 600 to 700 yards but it is better to strike high than to have a potential and ever increasing low POI error. Do keep in mind that there is no substitute for actual down range field testing of the individual rifle. Also keep in mind that at very long ranges, small errors in turret calibration become much more exaggerated. It is very important that you take this on board and not be too quick to blame all ills on the BC."

Watch this video, it may say something to someone…

https://youtu.be/2qimqqq1Q3g

Shot a fallow hind with 300 winmag in the base of head front on with 208 Eldm at 780m muzzle velocity it 2700fps. Went straight through just missing the spine as it opened up its jugular went in its back as it was facing down hill and popped out in front of the back leg. It stood daised for a second then fell over.
    Eldm s are softer and are better for the longer range when energy bleeds off a bit.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Try check this link, someone in USA shooting 300+mts… Damage of eld-m…

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater