Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Got any reloading data for 204 Ruger and 308 using AR2208 powder?

Hi guys,
    I have been sold a bottle of AR 2208 by one of NZ's 'favourite' hunting shops. Not knowing much about the reloading thing I doddled off thinking that my mate's reloading book will be able to tell me what combination of ingredients go into the little feisty 204Ruger and the bread and butter 308. But I found out that that book was from 1994 or so and does not have the powder listed for a start and the 204 was only invented in 2004 or so....

So, does anybody have reloading data referring to AR2208 when it comes to

1) 204Ruger, 32 and 40gr projectiles

2) 308 Winchester, 150gr projectiles (Nosler, Corelokt, Sierra)

I am not a competitive shooter but the tools need to be right!!

Of course I understand if people said that the powder might not be good for both rounds but what should I buy? I don't seem to get good advice from the shop....
    Anyone with real test data out there shooting either home loaded rounds? Or even the latest data from an updated book??

Your help is much appreciated! Slayer

Go to the ADI website 46-47gr be around max depending on all sorts of things in .308 with 150gr
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

http://www.adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide/rifle.asp

Select your calibre and remember to always double check load data.

Too easy! Thanks compound, great link. So, why did they want to sell me a book for lots of $$$??? It's all there right in front of me !

Quote Originally Posted by compound View Post
    http://www.adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide/rifle.asp

Select your calibre and remember to always double check load data.

2208 is the universal "standard" in .308win. The book might call it Varget, one in the same, USA Varget NZ and Oz 2208
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Well, I can now turn the machine off knowing that I have learnt something! I am glad I asked!! Thanks heaps guys! Oarsome forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    2208 is the universal "standard" in .308win. The book might call it Varget, one in the same, USA Varget NZ and Oz 2208

46gr of 2208 and 150gr pills is a good start with the 308... and what I used to use with the corelokts

Different brands of brass will have different capacities so different preasure with the same load. The books/ Web are generaly safe max loads but with thick low capacity brass and a tight chamber max can be max.... on the flip side thin brass with larger capacity in a loose chambered rifle you can go over max by several grains... So watch loads published on forums etc.

Not saying peoples published loads are dangerous just pays to start lower and work up

The last 308 loading I did was with the 168 amax with Hornady Match brass and 46.5gr of 2208..... Shot real well but in another brass that load may well be over the top.

Some of my loads are hot and if you run things hot you waste brass as the primers start to get loose in the case then start blowing..... If you want brass to last it pays to stay away from hot loads, I have hot loads but most of the ammo I load is in the doesn't streach the brass range as it get expesive replacing brass, especialy for the likes of the 7mm SAUM Norma brass
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    As the ADI guide shows, 2208 is really a bit slow for the 204. I would recommend Viht N133. I'm using it in my 20 Tactical, getting 3,900fps+ with 40gr vmax. The 20 Tac case is smaller than the 204 Ruger too...

45-46gr in the 308 with 150gr projectiles should be a good safe load in the 308
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more