Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By R93
  • 1 Post By Kiwi Greg
  • 1 Post By 25/08IMP
  • 1 Post By josh86

Thread: group shooting with magnetospeed

group shooting with magnetospeed

Just got a new toy to play with and was wondering what peoples real world experience is with shooting with one on vs not. In an ideal world id have one of those radar cronos and then it wouldnt matter.

Icould shoot over the f1 but it annoys me no end with missed shots and set up. Do people do load development with their magneto speed on? How badly does it affect group size? I dont mind if it effects POI so much.

Cheers
    Rob

R93
    I work up a load I like and then test 10 rnds over time.Then I test cold barrel performance over several days.

I have shot groups with it on and it seems to group as normal but I do get a small poi shift.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

@R93 do you clean the barrel between shots over the 7 days? Do you check powder temp at all?

I just got my self the V3 nice pice of kit. I to noticed a slight shift in poi, to the left slightly.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Mine shifted POI low by about an inch, but grouping stayed about the same size as without the MS.

I found some of my barrels didn't care whether the V2 was on or not, others not so much

Both my carbon wrapped barrels don't move POI at all with it fitted.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    robhughes-games likes this.

whats the highest velocity it can measure ?

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by josh86 View Post
    @R93 do you clean the barrel between shots over the 7 days? Do you check powder temp at all?

I just got my self the V3 nice pice of kit. I to noticed a slight shift in poi, to the left slightly.
    No. Poi is the same to 200 but if clean there is around 80fps less in velocity from around fouled barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    No. Poi is the same to 200 but if clean there is around 80fps less in velocity from around fouled barrel.

Hmm havnt tried it with a clean barrel will have to give it a go,
    My findings with the 260 rem
    shot #1 2742 ft/s
    #2 2759 4 mins after 1st shot
    #3 2743 15mins after 2nd shot
    #4 2758 4mins after 3rd shot,
    #5 2745 15mins after 4th shot
    Dead is better likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post

Coated bullets Dave? This could make a difference having moly or boron deposits in barrel fouling? What say you?

R93
    Yep HBN.

Quote Originally Posted by josh86 View Post
    Hmm havnt tried it with a clean barrel will have to give it a go,
    My findings with the 260 rem
    shot #1 2742 ft/s
    #2 2759 4 mins after 1st shot
    #3 2743 15mins after 2nd shot
    #4 2758 4mins after 3rd shot,
    #5 2745 15mins after 4th shot
    That's quite an interesting string there. None of the ballistic programs that I know of have even considered entering Barrel Temp. Just look at the repeating variation in that string!
    They could be letting you enter a cold MV, and then a few more at set times to establish a curve. I'm surprised that such an important constant is missing off Applied Ballistics (I know they have
    powder temp which may be the same basic thing). I reckon a 'comp mode' that uses the phones bump sensor to register each shot...

So Brian Litz if you're listening, be a good chap and add that in for us ....
    *I actually just fired that question at him. I genuinely reckon that be a good thing to add
    Last edited by Dead is better; 16-09-2016 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    That's quite an interesting string there. None of the ballistic programs that I know of have even considered entering Barrel Temp. Just look at the repeating variation in that string!
    They could be letting you enter a cold MV, and then a few more at set times to establish a curve. I'm surprised that such an important constant is missing off Applied Ballistics (I know they have
    powder temp which may be the same basic thing). I reckon a 'comp mode' that uses the phones bump sensor to register each shot...

So Brian Litz if you're listening, be a good chap and add that in for us ....
    *I actually just fired that question at him. I genuinely reckon that be a good thing to add
    One of my clients who really has his shit together with shooting LR & ELR, keeps a very close eye on barrel temp, amongst other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    One of my clients who really has his shit together with shooting LR & ELR, keeps a very close eye on barrel temp, amongst other things.
    Just curious, with barrel temp, projectile/powder temp, etc.... which are outside the apps calls, does your client aim for a certain value or actually 'dial' on variation?
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Yea I thought it was interesting. I'm going to try this week at the range. clean cold bore shot to see what it comes back at, will also try the one shot a day over 5 days. My only concern would be consistent temp. (If it really makes a major difference?) Wouldn't mind getting a temp
    sensor.