Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Having that 'best deer hunting cal' argument with a mate. 6.5x55 vs .270win vs 308

Bought my 9,3x62 a few years back,shot it a lot and didnt see it as much worse than my 308.My 12 yr old and 14 yr old also put about 30 rounds through it. Very loud but mild recoil. Both hate the 270 i had but love the 308. Go figure.

After a back accident i have just sold my 9.3 and the 308 as my back cant stand the recoil anymore,can stand the 6.5x55 recoil i got to replace it. Very mild recoil and suppressed,whats not to like ? i am guessing the deer/goats wont know its not up to 270 standards if i do my part right.
    Certainly wont be trying a "texas heartshot" like i did with the 9.3 320 grainers.
    Guy Fawks the only man to enter parliament with the interests of the people in mind

57JL
    my 270 is soft as to shoot i use barns 110gr ttsx recoil is very little or nothing with a suppressor on. best flat shooting cal i have owned the other thing you need to take into account is the rifle my savage weather warrior with accustock is a pleasure to shoot where as my mates old 270 makes me flinch when pull the trigger it has no suppressor
    the other thing is if you get a suppressor make sure it has a mussel break in it i use one suppressor on my 308,270,300wsm and my 8x68 and it makes all of them comfortable to to shoot because it has a double brake in it
    as far as off the shelf ammo goes 308 is always available and in a large variety for close up or long range shooting at a reasonable price
    Last edited by 57jl; 30-11-2016 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oneipete View Post
    Bought my 9,3x62 a few years back,shot it a lot and didnt see it as much worse than my 308.My 12 yr old and 14 yr old also put about 30 rounds through it. Very loud but mild recoil. Both hate the 270 i had but love the 308. Go figure.

After a back accident i have just sold my 9.3 and the 308 as my back cant stand the recoil anymore,can stand the 6.5x55 recoil i got to replace it. Very mild recoil and suppressed,whats not to like ? i am guessing the deer/goats wont know its not up to 270 standards if i do my part right.
    Certainly wont be trying a "texas heartshot" like i did with the 9.3 320 grainers.
    Dont worry about the 6.5 x 55 not doing the business with a texas heart shot. Only tried it 3 times with the 243. Two deer and one 110 lb boar and it bowled them all over no problem.Back in the day when deer were hard to come by any chance to take one was taken . These days i tend to watch it run away than try that shot now but i was surprised that the whole three handly any meat was ruined and they all fell over pretty quick. Maybe a bit of luck there