Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By possummatti
  • 1 Post By Spook

Thread: Help How to read a Caliper

Unhappy Help How to read a Caliper

I got my hands on one but found the vernier for metric was different to the normal one which is graded into 1/10s this one is 20ths and I can't make any sense. I measured a .223 projectile and the answer should be 5.69mm. I can get the 5 but that is that.. Anyone with any ideas.
    Name:  Vernier.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  607.4 KB

that a strange one, the 14 lines up on the top line, 1/2 that and you get .7 so 5.70mm about as close as you get with verniers? with out being digital

As above hes got that right. I like digital ones .Most engineers don't though ..
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

It's a dual metric imperial one. Dealing with the imperial one It's graduated in .1 of an inch with subdivisions of .025in . the fixed scales above and below are the secondary measure verniers The imperial is numbered to 25 cause the subdivision is in .025.
    To read it take the 0 mark on the fixed scale and look at the number on the slide above this is your first measure (imperial.2) now look along the fixed scale to where a line matches up with one on the sliding scale imperial it looks like the 24 matches so 24 is your 2nd measurement so that makes a measurement of .224 The same thing applies for the metric though I think the vernier should only read to 10

That is peculiar, generally quality verniers have a resolution of 0.002mm witch is a numbered scale 1-10 with five lines between each mark.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

It looks like the metric scale should go to x.xx rather than x.x otherwise why have such an unusual scale. What happens on the imperial scale if the measurement exceeds 0.25, say 0.30

One too many zeros in my above post

I think you should get some other verniers, those ones don't have the resoulution for reloading.
    Reasonable quality digital ones can be had for around 40 bucks,oddly decent manual ones are at least twice that.

A digital set I have at work has fraction mode as well as met/imperial which is handy for me as being born after the 1800s I have a bit of trouble with imperial.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Who ever invented inches needs an uppercut. I dont know how you old fellas understand all the 3/16 4/2 17829302/3829912nths crap
    veitnamcam, Savage1, Toby and 1 others like this.
    If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of food.

Quote Originally Posted by possummatti View Post
    Who ever invented inches needs an uppercut. I dont know how you old fellas understand all the 3/16 4/2 17829302/3829912nths crap
    Stick to "firkins" as a means of measurement...it's either too firkin far or not firkin far enough.
    possummatti likes this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

You need to exercise the brain, otherwise it develops a faulty primer and refuses to fire..