Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Hornady SST

I used a bucket load of them maybe 10-12 years back in a 6.5X55. I doubt they have changed much since then. In the140 grain offering they were my go to bullet. I found them accurate and as deadly as I was capable of. Used the 165 sst in 308 also, very happy
    jackson21 likes this.

I use SSTs 129gn in 6.5x55 doing 2809. Have shot plenty of goats and some deer- no pencilling ever. These projectiles expand easily and often do a lot of damage on the way out.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    If anyone can show me wound photos of a sst wound launched at typical for cal velocitys where it obviosly "pencilled threw" at less than 600 yards i will eat my phone and my sweaty sock.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    SST are my GO-TO projectile.
    Shot Tahr, Chamois and Reds with them in 260, 270 and 308 and 90% of the time find the projectile on the offside shoulder under the skin.

@veitnamcam - you're not allowed to have any sauce on the sock and phone..
    Last edited by Spanners; 31-10-2015 at 03:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    SST are my GO-TO projectile.
    Shot Tahr, Chamois and Reds with them in 260, 270 and 308 and 90% of the time find the projectile on the offside shoulder under the skin.

@veitnamcam - you're not allowed to have any sauce on the sock and phone..
    It will never happen just like a sst will never pencil threw at normal velocitys, they are very frangible as you know.
    Beavis likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    I have had 1 pencil a Tahr nanny until it hit offside upper leg/shoulder and then popped on way out, animal was very alive and running on 3 legs until sorted, also had one exit with a small hole (ie no expansion) on a Chamois. Chamois Shot took all the vitals out and was flop on the ground.
    I have a pic of the Tahr exit wound, the Chamois you can just see a spot on the fur. Tahr was 130gr 270, and Cham was 150gr 308.

Maybe not true pencils like a SMK but the 2 times they havnt turned into the little bombs I love so much
    90% of the time, the proj is found under the skin on the offside with a BIG hole behind it.

Took all rhe vitals out and flopped on the ground does not sound like lack of expansion.
    I have had small exit wounds yet the very expanded base section is under the skin. If I didnt autopsy one could have thought it penciled threw but nope.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    deer243 and M.. like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Interesting thread, I've not been a fan of the sst (130gr .270) 4 years ago when I was using them, had a couple of blowups but it was mainly the horrendous brusing/meat damage that put me off them. There's obviously enough shooters here that are happy with them. Ive got some in154grto try in my 7x57, I'm hoping they'll go better than my .270 experience.

I use 180SST in my 308 and and have put tahr down from 8 feet to 350-400 mtrs

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  885.2 KB
    Couldn't get any 165's so bought last 4 boxes of 150's from reloaders. Went to range other day to check zero before hunting trip in a couple of weeks, 5 shot group @100m pretty much same POI so no need to change. Average velocity out of 20" barrel 2860 fps. This is good ammo, pretty much one ragged hole. Not sure even worth reloading for this rifle, apart from being able to keep a consistent supply of ammo.
    Tahr likes this.

Killed 5 whitetail deer and one 160 lb. Hog. All shots 80 to 100 yards. All 6 animals died basically where they stood. All deer shot clean through with violent interior damage. Hog was shoulder shot at approx 100 yrds. Did a bang flop and laid there kicking and died quick. It was a young boar. Did not shoot thru..... stopped at opposite shoulder shield. Bullet retained about 60% of weight. Caliber was 308win 150gr.

ive shot deer at 10m with 165gr in my 308 thought the chest small in hole and 50mm exit hole. deer at 300m small in hole and three exit holes.both times deer didnt walk more than 10m .deer at 200m front shoulder. it went throught both shoulders .there where 2 exit holes and the deer just fell over.i love them.the do make a mess of magpies aswall.lol

Quote Originally Posted by jackson21 View Post
    Attachment 42413
    Couldn't get any 165's so bought last 4 boxes of 150's from reloaders. Went to range other day to check zero before hunting trip in a couple of weeks, 5 shot group @100m pretty much same POI so no need to change. Average velocity out of 20" barrel 2860 fps. This is good ammo, pretty much one ragged hole. Not sure even worth reloading for this rifle, apart from being able to keep a consistent supply of ammo.

I have just started to use the 150sst and 165sst in my 308. Both very accrurate,POI nearly the same for both, just a fraction lower for the 165. Only shot 4 goats so far with them but they do the business at close range on those ones. My REM is 24 inch, getting a average of 2995fps with the 150sst and getting the stated 2840fps with the 165sst(both chonry) so they moving along I just like the fact that they shoot accrurate out of my rifle and can use both 150 or 165gr without having to adjust anything. The way they pole axed those goats im sure they going to do the business on deer.
    Esp as the 308 will be taken more in longer shot areas instead of the 243 which will still be my main go to rifle as its awesome

That's great speed. Have you looked at Sierra TMKs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    SSTs are a long range projectile so made to expand at lower velocities than normal. The problem comes from guys bush hunting with them particularly when the projectile hits s twig on the way to the target.
    What @MassiveAttack is saying is that the SST has a Secant Ogive and a boat tail which are design features found on long range bullets. This makes them more sensitive to seating depth for accuracy.

Hornady designed them like this to provide better ballistics (make em' slippery) and more velocity. I have always found that in .243, .264 and .308 they kill exceptionally well and I have only seen penciling when animals are body shot over 500 yards.

They are a bloody good pill and work.
    deer243 and sambnz like this.