Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Importing projectiles in luggage

Importing projectiles in luggage

Would my Folks be able to exit US Customs with projectiles for me?

Don't think so, on another forum there is a discussion about the paperwork needed to get projectiles from the US to Canada. Issues are from the US side. Check the US laws carefully.

Hit or miss I think. I'd give it a crack if it's not gonna be a large amount, or an expensive amount to lose on the offchance you get caught. I've seen plenty of people come over here with them no problems. Even had a client arrive here with 2 boxes of loaded ammunition in his luggage by accident

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Google "us export of projectiles". Just about all threads state an export licence is required. Not worth it these days. It might not just be confiscation, could be arrest and jail time.
    ebf likes this.

Cheers guys! I've sent the TSA an email, so maybe they will be helpful? One can only hope. I will let you know

ebf
    export license required.

not worth having your folks detained by the TSA nazis

if the volumes warrant it, speak to Mike at ReloadingInternational.com, he can organize the export paperwork.
    Cyclops likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

What projectiles do you need to bring out of the US that you cant source here? I spent 3 weeks in Colorado last year stopping at every gunshop i could find and there wasnt any projectiles that I couldnt buy here in NZ for the same money.

I've bought back a few in luggage from time to time. No probs. prices definitely cheaper than here. But TSA might frown on it these days ?

223 z max 50g times as many as they allow. Definitely cheaper if allowed.

Many differing experiences from people who have tried, and no real info on TSA sites etc. So hopefully they send an email.

Thank you for contacting the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Contact Center.

You may not pack ammunition in your carry-on bag.* Black powder and percussion caps used with black powder type firearms are not allowed in carry-on or checked baggage.

Small arms ammunition (up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge) are permitted in checked baggage as long as they comply with the following Federal regulations:*

• Packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood, or metal box specifically designed to carry ammunition
    • Declared to your airline

Ammunition may be transported in the same hard-sided, locked case as a firearm if it has been packed as described above.* You cannot use firearm magazines or clips for packing ammunition unless they completely enclose the ammunition.* Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be boxed or included within a hard-sided, locked case.*

To learn more about traveling with a firearm or ammunition, please visit http://www.tsa.gov\travel\transporti...and-ammunition.

TSA Contact Center

NOTICE: The information contained in this message and any attachments is privileged and confidential and therefore protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent who is responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Senture does not accept liability for changes to this message after it was sent. The views expressed in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect the views of the company. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying via e-mail to this message and deleting this information from your computer.

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    That looks like to be security information - for flights anywhere including the USA

Export is a different thing again

P38
    I'm currently in the US and will be looking into this further as I will be bringing several firearms related accessories back with me, including hopefully scopes, reloading equipment and projectiles etc.

I will ask the security team on duty when I fly from New York to Orlando next week.

I'll let you know what they say.

I have done Similar things out of Hawaii with no problems ..... The last time was 2014.

The other option is to have your parents post them to you, but this may be cost prohibitive due to the weight.

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

My interpretation of TSA's response is that projectiles are not ammunition and therefore not subject to TSA firearm laws.

As far as export goes, checked baggage is fine leaving the states.

I'll declare them coming in to NZ and pay the gst.

But, I will wait for your experiance. Thanks Pete

And big up to TSA. 6 hrs and a correct response. Damn that's fast

I've brought a heap of them back at various times, including last winter.
    On the last two to three occasions, they've been spotted by X-ray in checked-in luggage, examined by TSA and they left a card in there saying they'd been examined. No issue.