Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Inaccurate Cartridges

IMO any cartridge can be shoe horned to be accurate. As mentioned, it is/was POS rifles and ammunition that give cartridges a bad rep. I would put money on it that any bottle neck centre fire rifle cartridge would consistenly shoot MOA or better if all else was equal.
    gadgetman, Tommy and Sideshow like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I have a NEA which I converted to 7.62x39. Best factory ammo I've found (for accuracy) is cheap chinese copper wash fmj. Shoots better than an inch whenever I can.
    Annoys the hell out of the semi "anti's" when them and their super dooper rigs get out shot by it.
    likewise i get 1 to 1.5 inch, Barnaul shoots even better at just below an inch. This is a 14.5 inch barrel with a 1-6x scope. Hardly a target rig. Well made free floating barres with correct chamber dimensions make the world of difference.

probably told you lads this one before....
    we fired a round of chinasport x39mm and found a section of case attached to the neck of fired case it was about 3mmx2mm and the only place it could have been was inside the neck of loaded round...... thats the last time that stuff been fired by us
    now the yellow box stuff....thats a different story.

12guage with solids...

7-08 or 222
    Warm Barrels!

Now you are on dangerous ground

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    Now you are on dangerous ground
    Warm Barrels!

Another thing to consider, the reloading components available to us seem to have gotten better over the years. I loaded for the same 7x57 for at nearly 30 years, in fairly small quantities, never touched the rifle/scope or its bedding etc. When I first started shooting it in 1985 the best I could do with it was 30mm at 100M. When I gave it away in 2014 it was shooting 19mm groups consistently. I don't think my shooting improved one iota as I got older, the reverse in fact.
    veitnamcam and 308 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Another thing to consider, the reloading components available to us seem to have gotten better over the years. I loaded for the same 7x57 for at nearly 30 years, in fairly small quantities, never touched the rifle/scope or its bedding etc. When I first started shooting it in 1985 the best I could do with it was 30mm at 100M. When I gave it away in 2014 it was shooting 19mm groups consistently. I don't think my shooting improved one iota as I got older, the reverse in fact.
    aint that the truth!!!!!!

Any cartridge made by PMC seems to be crap in my opinion, Tried the 308, 223 and 7.62x39 and all shot saucer sized(at least) groups. Put some hornady traing then some American Eagle through the T3 straight after and got 1/2 moa groups so the rifles good.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm300wby View Post
    Never seen a half Moa .303
    I have it was a ruger no1

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    timattalon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    12guage with solids...
    They have dedicated slug guns in the states that will have 3 touching at 100

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Steve123.......back in the day before I got reloading gear thats what we fed my poohseventy with. the longest shot on big game I have sussessfully taken was with PMC with the soft lead bit taken off as my mag used to mash them under recoil. first shot at chammy was aimed at spine and trimmed her toenails,giving me "kentucky windage" 2nd shot was all that was needed.....work that out on drop chart and its 350-400yards..... also pmc is plurry good brass.

If you look at the history of some of these cartridges you will find mention time and again how in general it was the rifle and ammunition makers that let them down. It still happens today. Take the 7x57 ammo that is made in the states. They download them because the ammo company's are afraid that they might be used in an old gun that might then blow up, which in turn gets them into litigation because dumb ass didn't check to see that his firearm was up to the task.
    But this is aside from the original question that was asked.
    I'm sure that if you take any cartridge and built with care a rifle especially for that cartridge you would see results that would make you happier than using a worn out gun with pitted barrel and poor bedding, shit trigger and poor shooting technique.
    Take the 303 Bren gun this was found to be too accurate yep that's right. For what it was designed for! As a cover/suppressing fire weapon which is ment to spray bullets around, this weapon would give good to astonishing groups. This was used to good effect against snipers in the Italy campaign by NZ troops.
    Again back to the question which is not asking to compare one cartridge against another but is a cartridge accurate!
    If it hits what your aiming at then you can't really complain ah
    Growlybear and WallyR like this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

MSL
    Pretty much any calibre I try to shoot would qualify
    R93, Marty Henry, norsk and 1 others like this.