Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By specweapon

Thread: LEE CLASSIC POWDER MEASURE

LEE CLASSIC POWDER MEASURE

I have been using the Lee perfect powder measure(plastic body) for a few years and it works well, but I have to weigh each load. So I am wanting to speed things up and bought a Lee Classic powder measure(Cast body and brass drum) after cycling a fair bit of powder through it to settle it down it now throws consistent loads. I measure every 5th now. How have others found this powder measure it was only $163 from Reloaders.

Curious as I'm getting sick of my beam scales

So far I have loaded 30 rounds of 223, and speeds things along when using beam scales. Im using stick powder AR2206H

P38
    I use several types of Lee powder measures and they all work really well.

LEE AUTO-DRUM POWDER MEASURE
    LEE PRO AUTO-DISK POWDER MEASURE

I still use a balance beam scale to double check every 5 rounds but find its not usually out.

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

I've used the Lee perfect plastic measure for the last few year and found the trick to getting really consistent loads is to tap the barrel everytime you rotate the handle. Always the same amount of taps, 3-4. But the rubber wiper started to leak powder out the side of the drum even when not being used, to the point it would empty the hopper overnight.
    I like the design of the Hornady lnl measure from my progressive so just picked up another one yesterday for $170, I think the Lee Classic is overpriced for what it is which much rougher quality and machining, I struggled to get my mates one as constant as the plastic version.
    But saying that I've also had trouble with my new Hornady, rang the gunshop and they said that a few guys have had similar problems and Hornady sent them a couple of special cleaners to remove the rust protectant. I tried last night to thoroughly clean mine with Ethyl Alchohol so will see how I get on today.
    I'm just loading bulk 223 and 308 and not pushing the pressure limits so don't check as much as every 5th round

Quote Originally Posted by specweapon View Post
    I've used the Lee perfect plastic measure for the last few year and found the trick to getting really consistent loads is to tap the barrel everytime you rotate the handle. Always the same amount of taps, 3-4. But the rubber wiper started to leak powder out the side of the drum even when not being used, to the point it would empty the hopper overnight.
    I like the design of the Hornady lnl measure from my progressive so just picked up another one yesterday for $170, I think the Lee Classic is overpriced for what it is which much rougher quality and machining, I struggled to get my mates one as constant as the plastic version.
    But saying that I've also had trouble with my new Hornady, rang the gunshop and they said that a few guys have had similar problems and Hornady sent them a couple of special cleaners to remove the rust protectant. I tried last night to thoroughly clean mine with Ethyl Alchohol so will see how I get on today.
    I'm just loading bulk 223 and 308 and not pushing the pressure limits so don't check as much as every 5th round
    i used brake and clutch cleaner on my hornady powder measure. worked well

Tried that, maybe mine left some residues. Ethyl alcohol was magic, have just loaded up 100x 308 and all measured within .1grain with none of the obvious signs of powder stuck to the inside when I empty the hopper
    Sideshow likes this.

where are ya based spec? if chch i can lend you a can

Thanks for the tip specweapon there goes the wife's finger nail remover nar not that brave