Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Looking at reloading, what do I need?

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I so miss that.....all sorted this sat when I win lotto
    Sorry VC I'm winning mate. I'll make sure my range is available for your use though.. It'll be in central otago mind you. I'll pick you up in the jet..

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and Beaker like this.

RCBS stuff isn't perfect but you can work with it. My powder thrower likes to jam half a load and drop it the nanosecond I remove the cartridge. I then like to quote Deadpool and scream "Ah CANADA"

Following

Just to clarify one thing....reloading for rifle is probably not going to save you any money. Pistol it will and is essential to reload, although need to get serious with Dillon gear.

It is a pastime that you will endlessly be buying more shit for, shit you don't need, stock-up on shit unless you run out of shit, latest shit that is similar to shit you already have. The list goes on.

Nothing wrong with Lee stuff, save some money here but suck it up and purchase a Electronic Powder thrower like a Lyman Gen 6 or something similar.

It is a great pastime and nothing like the satisfaction of making your own ammo specifically tuned to your rifle.
    If you are just after some cheaper shooting, the current lot of German Geco ammo that Aoraki has bought in is outstanding and is another option to look at.
    7x64 and petronious_arbiter like this.

Thank for all the input, I hadnt considered the close acces to a range which would make life easier, although thats not deal breaker. The other thing I hadnt considered was brass life, it looks like the 303 wont take many reloads (it may just be the Winchester brass though, will try the Highland/PPU which is apparently much better).

Where do you live ?

Christchurch, so there are plenty of ranges and I do have a couple of other places that I can shoot at (if thats what you were asking about)
    Kscott likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Yea I know the chap I am pretty sure, used to use his range before trouble with the neighbors... not exactly rock up anytime either is it?
    You can rock up here anytime you like Cam. I got the 100 yrd target pretty good now. Just need to knock up a bench
    veitnamcam, mikee and Gibo like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Well I have decided not to get the Lee kit and start collecting second hand bits an pieces as they pop up, although I may still end up with a Lee press. A secondhand set of RCBS 5.10 scales has been the first purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Try Nathan Fosters book on reloading, it will answer a lot of your questions. It also runs through most brands pros and cons
    Well worth the buy before you descend into the abyss
    I've just received this book and can highly recommend it to anyone. Nathan goes through all the gear and discuss pros and cons and what you need to get started, and improvements for experienced handloaders too.
    Very informative. well worth the $57.