Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

My Dumb Q - Making a drop chart

Hi all
    My dumb question for the week:-
    I am planning to go to the Auckland gong shoot but need to set up a drop chart and figure out how to then dial up the needed height on the scope for the longer shots.
    I have used the JBM online site, confirmed the sighted in distance is 245yds and the drops after that. BUT to use an example, how do I convert the drop of 61.9" or 10.9MOA at 540yds into an amount to dial into the scope. Surely it can't be 10.9MOA. Would I use 2.7MOA ie 1/4 of the drop as you would use when working out a mid height rise when shooting?

Thanks
    Stu

R93
    G'day Stu, what cal are you shooting? At what velocity? And what increments does your scope work in in/yds or MOA? Answer those and we could get you roughly sorted.

If your drop chart says 10.9MOA that is what you will have to adjust your scope by.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    So, I'm a little confuesd , Is your zero 245yrds or is that your blank point range .Either way for a shoot like I imagine this would be you'll be better off with a 100yrd zero and then a drop chart from there.
    However if your zero is 245yrds, then if the the moa drop [1 moa being each 4 clicks on a 1/4 click scope] from there is 10.9 up to reach 540yrds you'll need to dial 10.9 or 11moa from your zero position on your scope for a hit.

To answer your questions R93 - short barrelled .243, 85gn@2950fps, scope is in MOA as its a bog standard VX3 2.5-8x36.
    Just felt like having a go at the gong shoot as its so close, I'm happy to change the zero of the rifle for the shoot, so I'm better to re zero the rifle for 100m it's not a prob as it will need to be resighted as it's away getting a new stock.

10.9 MOA drop?

1/4 MOA clicks on scope.

So go up 43 or 44 clicks on your scope.

ie 10.9 x 4 = 43.6
    Welcome to Sako club.

So basically it is as simple (well excluding wind, temperature . . .) as clicking up the the drop off the table then . I just thought there was more too it. Obviously made it more complicated in my head.
    Thanks.