Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Neck sizing .338 brass

Neck sizing .338 brass

Can I use any 338 neck sizing die to size my 338 norma mag or do I have to buy a specific 338 norm one (e.g a 338 lap neck die will work the same?) having trouble tracking one down

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    LM die prob won't work as that case is longer than the NM, will depend on how far into the die the case has to go to begin neck sizing. A hornady neck die may work, but it would pay to check if the case body would fit into the die

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

I was having problems finding a .338 neck sizing die so I got a hornady die for a similar bodied case and got Scott trail to turn it into a .338 neck sizing one for me.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Just run the FL die off the shoulder
    338 likes this.

Just do a "minimum" full length size every time

Neck sizing only is one of these "smart things to do" which really isnt
    veitnamcam likes this.

Yea cheers for all the solutions guys, never thought of using the fl die! Haha. Why do you say it isn't smart cyclist?

2 reasons

You end up with a heap of brass which is either neck sized or not and anywhere in between and so end up with higher ES = vertical spread
    You end up taking cases hunting which require a crush fit to chamber and then you find one which WONT chamber as a grade A+ wallhanger Tahr saunters away

The usual reasons given about not working brass etc are a total irrelavence in any standard chambering and any potential gain in accuracy is lost in the million reasons why the rifles we own are not shooting low 0's

my $0.02 anyway - no doubt there will be people who have drunk the coolaid
    Spanners and veitnamcam like this.

+1
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclist View Post
    2 reasons

You end up with a heap of brass which is either neck sized or not and anywhere in between and so end up with higher ES = vertical spread
    You end up taking cases hunting which require a crush fit to chamber and then you find one which WONT chamber as a grade A+ wallhanger Tahr saunters away

The usual reasons given about not working brass etc are a total irrelavence in any standard chambering and any potential gain in accuracy is lost in the million reasons why the rifles we own are not shooting low 0's

my $0.02 anyway - no doubt there will be people who have drunk the coolaid
    wow awesome. so its drinking coolaid to search for increased performance? yea man each to their own though i guess, seems like your reasons for not neck sizing are related to you not keeping track of brass and your sizing technique rather than neck sizing being a flawed method of potential accuracy increase

Quote Originally Posted by ARdave View Post
    wow awesome. so its drinking coolaid to search for increased performance? yea man each to their own though i guess, seems like your reasons for not neck sizing are related to you not keeping track of brass and your sizing technique rather than neck sizing being a flawed method of potential accuracy increase
    The moral of the story is if you can keep track of your brass you haven't got any where near enough!
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

nah...at $2.80 a pop id rather not buy hundreds if there's no need to. the moral of the story really was neck sizing 338 brass, not should i neck size 338 brass

Better brass life too isnt it or is that a myth?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Depends if your superglueing in the primers after the first firing

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Yup - years of reloading, owning rifles that shoot 0.1's and 0.2's with ZERO brass prep, Full size every time, mag length seating etc tend to lead me (personally) to the opinion that accuracy gains are mostly found in the quality of the rifle, the shooter and the rest. Correct powder choice and a projectile your rifle likes is next and then the rest of the reloading BS is just incremental stuff, the last 1% and pointless until you have perfected your fundamentals.

Ask the spanner about belting out 5c sized groups with SL8's using ammo loaded as fast as you can pull the handle on a dillon with the same careful regime as above...

anyway, each to their own - some people just love fiddling with brass

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Yip
    All my target 308 ammo is also loaded with zero brass prep - FL sized everytime at ~600 rds an hr on a progressive press
    Powder drops 0.2gr either way usually - 0.25" groups.
    Weigh each load, neck size each case and still get 0.25" and waaaaaay less beer drinking time.

I did the same thing with my RUM, weighed brass, neck turned, neck sized etc etc - in the end, the mixed up ammo with FL, neck sized, 3 weights of brass, neck turned etc shot the same as the batch stuff

Once you get over xxx size case 0.2% powder accuracy etc means jack shit
    The difference it makes at range will be less than you're capable of shooting, let alone taking into account any variables
    It all gets lost in the 'noise'

Whatever floats you boat.. if you want to neck size, uniform primer pockets, chamfer necks, neck turn, weigh brass, weigh projectiles etc then go for it.
    I've never trimmed a piece of brass or uniformed a primer pocket EVER

Ive got better things to do with my time (like process 12k 300 BLK cases )than deal with 100 pieces of brass for no to little gain IMO