Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By homebrew.357
  • 1 Post By Maca49
  • 1 Post By timattalon

Thread: need some help with 45-70

need some help with 45-70

Hi Guys
    Guy I know has inherited a 45-70 he has some rounds but doesn't know where to buy new rounds. he has some brass and projectiles but hasn't done any reloading.
    is there anyone out there who could help him out ? maybe reload for him or tell him where to get what he needs to do the job himself .

Quote Originally Posted by Harryg View Post
    Hi Guys
    Guy I know has inherited a 45-70 he has some rounds but doesn't know where to buy new rounds. he has some brass and projectiles but hasn't done any reloading.
    is there anyone out there who could help him out ? maybe reload for him or tell him where to get what he needs to do the job himself .
    Most gun shops should be able to get or stock 45/70. Its not a particularly uncommon calibre. I may even have access to some shop stock but not sure what or how much (volume or price)

Factory 45-70 is pretty slow but will still do the job up close. Best factory stuff is the Hornady leverevolution, as timattalon stated most big shops will stock reloading gear.

Thanks guys I'll be talking to him in the next few days

I will have a look what 45/70 we have round here. Might be able to do a decent price on it. reloading is the cheaper option, but can be pricey to get set up to start with.

I am assuming this is a nitro proofed gun and not black powder?

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    I am assuming this is a nitro proofed gun and not black powder?
    Exactly what is the gun 45-70 is a very early caliber 45-70 = 45cal-70grains black powder
    And there are still some very old rifles about that if you tried modern ammunition it would be disastrous
    Most good ammunition companies make it but only if its a modern gun

If its an old girl in good condition and your local auckland I can help with loading some black powder rounds for him to have ago with it

terrible idea...best to give it to me to look after.....Im sure we can put it to good use with trail boss down loads and retire the 7.62x39mm

I must admit to reloading my 45-70 amo with no reloading dies, well I made a fl resizing die, its a easy round to reload. I`m staying with black powder pressures with black and nitro, using lead bullets only. I have not seen any factory 45-70 amo, but I wasn't looking very hard. It`s the flaming cases that are expensive!!, but it`s great fun.
    Name:  P1020747.JPG
Views: 162
Size:  159.9 KB, there you go.
    P38 and Micky Duck like this.

brass life awesome with bp though aslong as you look after your brass

I prefer black powder its easier to clean than nitro dirtier use but fouling cleans out really easy with just warm soapy water as solvent
    and a good oil such as balistol to preserve the firearm for storage

and you get that satisfying boom with lots of smoke

Best bet is to find someone down your way in Otago, a lot of big bore shooters down there. And as Rambo says with black powder the cases will last a long time, if you look after them, at the range shooting black I have a milk bottle with soapy water to drop the fired cases in to kill the sulphur salts. It`s great fun at the range with guys shooting .17m and .223`s, I bump a box of 45-70s on the bench, holy s""t, " There`s a herd of buffs down there". P S, Reloaders have got them at $3.40 each!!.

And it's always good when you catch the range officer un aware and rattle his inards with the concussion.
    timattalon likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    And it's always good when you catch the range officer un aware and rattle his inards with the concussion.
    Mosins are fun too....especially the M44 carbine version with Barnaul 203gr SP....Big BOOOM, and a muzzle flash you can spotlight with........

.Some one left an ad for "shoot 'n' See targets so you can see your bullet hole at range. Someone wisely added "Make the hole bigger- shoot a bigger gun....!"
    Maca49 likes this.

when I take one of my muskets to the nzda range for practice I only ever get around 3 shots myself as I have every man and his dog asking for shots people are just attracted to the very large boom and puff of smoke haven't taken a bpcr there yet I should one day though see what looks I get