Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: New 223

Just loaded some with 2208, some for fire morning and some for the crony and targets.

Found that 2208 might be a bit bulky for this and might find a powder between BM2 and 2208 for the next lot. I'll fire these in the morning and let you know how they go.

Name:  20131123_151731.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  190.6 KB
    Name:  20131123_151822.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  157.9 KB

Also, this a the spacer I'm using between the die and shel holder, nothing flash really but provide I remember to put it on, all good.

Name:  20131123_150903.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  88.4 KB
    Name:  20131123_151848.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  100.7 KB
    Name:  20131123_151909.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  140.6 KB

Picked up a selection of other bullets this week too. I'll try the Hornady 68gr HPBT and the 70gr Branes TSX shortly, but both of these might not work in the 1:12 twist. Can only try I guess. The 68gr HPBT has a good looking BC.

I will be hunting next weekend with this rifle! Also, I'm find some hares etc during the week and try and get some video from a distance.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    Just loaded some with 2208, some for fire morning and some for the crony and targets.

Found that 2208 might be a bit bulky for this and might find a powder between BM2 and 2208 for the next lot. I'll fire these in the morning and let you know how they go.
    Don't know about your .223 Maxima but my .223 Goatslayer loves 2206H

As luck would have it 2206H is smack dab in the middle of 2208 and BM2 as well.

H4895 is another goodie for .223

Look forward to your reports on how the maxima performs.

Cheers
    Pete
    kiwi39 likes this.

CFE223?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing your project ... this looks really fascinating ... out of my depth but but would really like to see you keeping us all up to date with progress! Re naming - don't use imperial or metric (numerical) name ... give it a real name as in words that mean something. I'm sure some guys here on the Forum can give you some suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzrrr View Post
    Thanks for sharing your project ... this looks really fascinating ... out of my depth but but would really like to see you keeping us all up to date with progress! Re naming - don't use imperial or metric (numerical) name ... give it a real name as in words that mean something. I'm sure some guys here on the Forum can give you some suggestions.
    What about my favourite, "The .223 souper dooper deer rooter" or ".223 SDDR" for short, Or the ".223 Flamin Ugly Critter Killer", I;ll let you guys work the shortened version of that

Looks very interesting project though
    veitnamcam, Bryan, R93 and 2 others like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

So, 2208 was a fail with the 53gr Vmax as suspected.

31gr and 32gr gave the better groups, but the velocities were to slow, 3120 and 3160. Even the 34gr load only gave 3250fps. To be worth the effort, I need to see a significant improvement from a 223 Rem (when this rifle was 223 Rem the 53gr were doing 3260fps with 26gr of BM2)

Narrow, long powder column maybe isn't as good for the slower powder and the light bullet. Any ideals of which powder for the heavier 68gr bullet?

Name:  20131125_072903.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  94.1 KB

2208 would suit the heavier pills i would think. I run out of room with it in normal 223

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by distant stalker View Post
    2208 would suit the heavier pills i would think. I run out of room with it in normal 223
    +1

What primers are you using? I would look at CFE223 or 2206H as suggested. I also think you may struggle to get any accuracy with 68-70gr projectiles in a 1:12.
    Have you tried FFing without projectiles? You should be able to get close to the finished product with say, greendot powder and a patch. It will save you a ton of work.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

As above, awesome project that i think would move closer to realisation of potential in a 1:8 twist for heavy pills and the likes of 2208. Although i doubt the high bc pills will stabilise in the current barrel it would be interesting to see what speed they could get up to.
    Would expect 2206h and the light pills should get you going nice and fast.
    Enjoying following your experimenting with it, thanks for sharing.

Yeah, hear what you are saying about the 1:12 twist and the heavier bullets. I'll get it a try anyway and see how they go. I've heard mix results with them in twists like this, even a 60-65gr would be OK. Really want to move away from Varmit bullets for deer and Chamois.

I'll try the 2208 with the heavier bullet and see how that runs and try the suggest 2206H for the lighter bunny load. Could even go back to BM2 for these and run these 53gr Vmax at over 3500

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    +1

What primers are you using? I would look at CFE223 or 2206H as suggested. I also think you may struggle to get any accuracy with 68-70gr projectiles in a 1:12.
    Have you tried FFing without projectiles? You should be able to get close to the finished product with say, greendot powder and a patch. It will save you a ton of work.
    Using CCI Small Rifle #400 primers to date, but Have some Federal's too.

I haven't tried the FF with pistol powder yet, would you stem the case with a filler too? I have considered it, but wasn't sure on the details so stuck with what I know. Keen to give it a go.

Have just loaded the 68gr BTHP and 70gr TSX with the 2208 and ran out of room at 32gr. I have the option of cutting the throat a bit deeper to suit the longer bullets and give move case volume, but will just check they stabilize for a start and see what speed I get up to for I scare myself and then worry about capacity.

With the 53gr vmax I only load to 34gr of 2208 and could get another 1 in - maybe 1.5. When I tried the BM2 I only went to 32gr and got 3760fps (they grouped well and the cases looked good, but the primer was flat as flat).

I hadn't heard of this CFE223 powder, but the data looks good and fast in the 223Rem. I might need to find a little, or a lot.

R93
    You may need filler but I doubt it. I use a 1cm x 1cm M16 cleaning patch. If you need filler I can send you some cream of wheat.
    Just work up as you would a normal load until you get a sharp shoulder. Make sure you only trim the case so that there is some resistance on closing the bolt as you will not be head spacing on the shoulder but the case neck it self. If you have primers that are popping a little you need to crush the case in a bit more or up the charge. Looking at how much brass you are displacing, it should work easy.

You may find a longer throat will allow more pressure as well. Your velocities could get up to where you want them with the heavier projectiles.

Looking forward to the finished product. Tiffo just used a standard .223 Rem reamer?

Yeah, standard 223Rem reamer, just driven another 7mm in. I guess the bottom of the case has parallel sized for a short section, not sure if this is going to give any issues, hasn't to date and I've now had 3 fires from some cases, they are still looking good.

Do you think if I just necked the parent case to 223, trim neck to just touch the lands and fire form from here using fast pistol/shotgun powder, I could get it done that way? If so, this would be the preferred method and I wouldn't need to neck out to 270 like I currently am. Necking to 270 is biggest issue I've had with crushing cases.

I did do a heap of reading on Cream of Wheat and fire forming that way, but was concerned about headspace. This is why I'm necking out to 270 and then forming the 223 shoulder in the right place. I had not considered trimming the length to touch.

Shooting the 68gr bullets tonight/tomorrow with the 2208 and will see how that go. weather is a bit shitty at the moment. Might walk to the 250m around the corner to see what James thinks about the whole thing too.

R93
    It could/should work well trimming the original neck to touch the lands. Or you may need to use a smaller button like .25 cal to keep the base, on the bolt face. Cream of wheat is just filler but I do not use it anymore. Patch works fine/easier.
    You could walk around the rd to see that fella. He may be already out walking the neighbourhood in the nuddy! He is weird like that! But he has certainly been a sounding board for me over the years as far as reloading and smithing goes. He is bound to have samples of powder you may need as well.

Very cool. Will follow with interest.

kj
    R93 likes this.