Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: New barrel and calibre?

New barrel and calibre?

Hey all. So I'm going to re barrel my tikka T3 from 270wsm.
    Initially I thought of going to a 7wsm. To make use of the higher bc 7mm projectiles.
    This is my only rifle so needs to be an allrounder and not a barrel burner. I tend to shoot a few goats here at sometimes 700m.
    Will the 7-300wsm having a longer neck be a better bet? Or another wonderful creation?
    Puku

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Ejected
    Just get a 223 for were you are.

Do what I am 6.5SAUM........................................... and I only stopped in for a quick chat!!
    R93 and BRADS like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

308?
    mikee and Toby like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

GWH
    Is the barrel actually worn out? If not why not just use the new 150gr Nosler LRAB, great BC, these projectiles should breath new life into the 270 WSM for long range work.
    veitnamcam likes this.

The nosler Lr ABs...
    I have used about 45 in trial work and went to get some more today. But there are none in shops apparently and there are only three boxes coming into the country in the next shipment. I'm not interested in having a load that I struggle to get projectiles for.

I have a hundred or so 150gr bergers left so will finish them and change.

No the barrel is not shot out, probably had about 600rounds through it at a guess
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Quote Originally Posted by puku View Post
    The nosler Lr ABs...
    I have used about 45 in trial work and went to get some more today. But there are none in shops apparently and there are only three boxes coming into the country in the next shipment. I'm not interested in having a load that I struggle to get projectiles for.

I have a hundred or so 150gr bergers left so will finish them and change.

No the barrel is not shot out, probably had about 600rounds through it at a guess
    If only it was a Remington you had, I know where you could have got a cracker deal on a brand new and about to be removed unused 270wsm barrel
    veitnamcam likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Do what I am 6.5SAUM........................................... and I only stopped in for a quick chat!!
    You will be on here once a month looking for new barrels with that after you get it

7mmSaum Puku. Not a barrel burner normally and in the right cal. Or what I think will be my next choice for a project, .280 AI?
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    You will be on here once a month looking for new barrels with that after you get it

7mmSaum Puku. Not a barrel burner normally and in the right cal. Or what I think will be my next choice for a project, .280 AI?
    Barrels are cheap once you have the rest, a consumable even..... ..would have gone bigger case but same calibre if I din't want to make it quieter at times, (for the dog )

What about a 6.5-375

R93
    Barrels are cheap once you have the rest, a consumable even..... ..would have gone bigger case but same calibre if I din't want to make it quieter at times, (for the dog )

What about a 6.5-375
    Who has corrupted you mikee? I know it is not Cam as you would be getting a .308 in something like a sako. I reckon a 6.5-375 will suck the snot out of your nose like lying 6" away and 18" deep from a grenade going off
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

What about a 6.5-375
    Kirby Allen does a 6.5 Allen Magnum, it is a 338 RUM necked down. 3550fps with a 140gr projectile from a 30" barrel Allen Magnum Wildcats

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Who has corrupted you mikee? I know it is not Cam as you would be getting a .308 in something like a sako. I reckon a 6.5-375 will suck the snot out of your nose like lying 6" away and 18" deep from a grenade going off
    Nah it was definitly "corrupted by Cam + another". Otherwise I would have just brought another rattle gun.

Now I am even thinking of selling the one I built "just in case" the other 2 I built needed company along with the one I already have / use....................but in reality only sighted in. So not so much corruped as totally f&^ked
    R93 likes this.

What about a 6.5-375
    I hear this a lot but have no idea where people are getting these cheap barrels. Doing research the average cost of a barrel was about $800.
    If they were around $400 I'd say they were cheap, but not for $800 and more for something really top notch from trueflight.

I think what they are getting at is that if you are shooting enough to wear out barrels, the ammo at $2 plus a round for 2000 plus rounds is the expensive part and a barrel at $800 is cheap by comparison

Sent from my RM-915_apac_australia_new_zealand_214 using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and Uplandstalker like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

What about a 6.5-375
    A 6.5- 375 would be a sweet project mate
    You will never wear the barrel out deer hunting.
    There would be very few people on this forum who have worn out a barrel on a deer hunting rifle
    The yanks are claiming that 6.5 super doper thingy they have is doing over 4000 rounds two a tube, that's a shit load of deer.
    Last edited by BRADS; 12-03-2014 at 05:40 PM.