Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Squashed like a Flea

Newby's thinking of getting into Reloading

G'Day Fella's

I have stated this on other forums in the past but as this is a New forum, well......

If you are new to reloading or thinking of getting into it, can I suggest One Indispensable item You Will Need!
    That One Indispensable item, is a Reloading Manual!!!
    I can't believe how many Newby's seem to believe a book on reloading, isn't really necessary!
    In my experience the two best reloading manuals for a person that does'nt have much or any engineering experience and knowledge, is the Nosler and Nick Harvey reloading manuals. Both of these manuals seem to have been written, with the absolute novice in mind!
    Please don't take this as an insult, it's just the way it is!

The other reloading manuals seem to have been written by some dick (dicks), that thinks the only people reading their manual, will be 60 year old (lots of experience) mechanical engineers!

So if you are thinking of getting into reloading, get a Reloading Manual First and read it from front to back until you understand in theory, what you are about to start doing. High lite anything you don't understand, then get on a forum and ask away.
    Remember, when you are playing with 60,000 + PSI, there is no such thing as a Dumb Question, just Dumb Mistakes!

Hope that helps

Doh!
    Homer
    Last edited by Homer; 26-12-2011 at 08:30 PM.

P38
    Your not wrong Homer!

A Reloading Manual is an essential piece of kit that should be purchased and studied before beginning to reload.

Nick Harvey's manuals are first rate however I also highly rate the Lee Precision manual as well.

Read, research and ask plenty of dumb questions.

I've been reloading for 30 years and I'm still asking those dumb questions and learning new stuff.

Cheers
    Pete

Squashed like a Flea
    G'Day Pete,

Hope you had a Bonza Christmas!

Thank you for the insight into the Lee Precision manual!
    It is one manual that I don't actually own but it is on my To Get list!!!
    Apparently, the info on calculating cast bullet hardness and from this the Pressure and Velocity a cast bullet can cope with , is Very Good!

Like wise, been loading for 30+ years and 100,000+ rounds of ammo, less Dumb Questions these days but I'm still learning things!!!

Doh!
    Homer

Hi guys, i'm a newbie to reloading, been reloading pistol carts, 9mm, 38 and 357. for nearly a year now, but still consider myself a novice. I bought the Lee Manual, which does give a lot of awesome info, for all levels, it does not however, give the data for the powder i use! doh! The first thing i did when i was starting out, even before i had bought any equipment, was go to youtube. I watched hundreds of short videos on reloading, theory and practical, and still do on the odd occasion. That was where i learned that i would need a book! Once i had seen everything I could watch on the subject, the book made sense. I am a visual learner, so i need to see it happen to learn how to do it. There are many great videos on reloading and shooting, even learnt how to set up the gear i was going to buy! I am a book fan, so will keep buying them, but man its a lot quicker to watch someone else doing it.
    reloading to me has become a whole new hobby, one that saves me money and gives me a lot of satisfaction when i shoot my own handloads.
    There's always a chance, while there's lead in the air!
    A golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.

Just found this post, thank you, i will be on the lookout for one of the said books

Never even looked at a reloading manual personally...

There are a heap of good websites around to teach people how to reload and verified data is available from manufacturers websites

Read this: exterior ballistics Visit ADI or the Hodgdon data centre = job done!

maybe its a generational thing? I guess information was a lot harder to come by say even 10 years ago??

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclist View Post
    Never even looked at a reloading manual personally...

There are a heap of good websites around to teach people how to reload and verified data is available from manufacturers websites

Read this: exterior ballistics Visit ADI or the Hodgdon data centre = job done!

maybe its a generational thing? I guess information was a lot harder to come by say even 10 years ago??
    +1

Well, just found that 9mm cases look awesome cleaned! but look a bit sad after going through the sizing die, so now i clean in corn media, deprime/resize/bell mouth then polish in walnut with polish! Man, they look better than new!
    There's always a chance, while there's lead in the air!
    A golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.